Help me with sugar!

karissastephens
karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I ALWAYS crave something sweet after eating a meal...how can i curb that craving?

I have tried the following..

- walking
- Gym time
- Studying

Nothing is working...help!

Replies

• Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    couple pcs of dried fruit?
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    I like some of the crystal light water to-go packets - they're somewhat sweet. if you're looking for snacky type foods- you can try air-popped popcorn (make it yourself) and put a small packet of M&Ms in it every once in a while - then you have a couple of sweet and crunchy things. Also, you can make your own popsicles with fruit juice.
  • Try chewing sugar free gum. It really helps me get past the sweet cravings.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    forgot some other things too - this is an old Weight Watchers recipe - 1 cake mix, with 1 can of diet soda (and I usually add an egg or two) and make into cupcakes (follow baking time on box)- then freeze them, and take 1 out the day you need a treat - no frosting of course, but does help with the dessert thing a little.
    also, with the popcorn, I make a big batch, and portion it out.

one of the other snacks I used to have every now and then are the Chex Mix 100 calorie packs of the chocolate kind.
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Skinny cow ice cream bars help me. They make many different types. And they are yummy
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Just a few dark chocolate covered raisins do the trick for me!

~Leash :heart:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I'm the same. Immediately after eating, I crave something sweet. The only way I've found to beat it...is to just say no, and suffer. I've tried everything, but that craving still lingers. Sugarless gum may help, green tea may help, working out may help, thinking about your goals and how those cookies aren't going to help in achieving that may help, thinking about the scale going UP instead of down may help...but more than likely, you're still going to crave it, and just have to say no.
  • totallytasha
    totallytasha Posts: 134 Member
    I just have a little bite size something, or a single Hershey Kiss. As long as I keep it to one and not ten, I consider myself ahead. :smile:
  • I am in the same boat. Let's make a resolution to have tea after eating for the rest of the month and see how it goes. I am having ice cream as I type :(
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    I made a challenge to myself to see how long I can go without sugar (I'll have 1 60% dark chocolate a night). I did cave a little for Halloween, but 3 almond joys and 2 jr mints over the last 4 days isn't too bad - oh and a piece of b-day cake with a friend.

I'm doing better with no sugar than I would with a little taste of something here and there (it adds up fast for me because I can't stop). Funny thing is sweets don't taste as good as they used to either. The last time I did this I could have sweets on Sat - so I'd save things and then after a few weeks none of it sounded good as I thought it would.

Good luck!
  • karissastephens
    I am in the same boat. Let's make a resolution to have tea after eating for the rest of the month and see how it goes. I am having ice cream as I type :(

Lets do it. I dont really like tea..what would make tea good??
  • karissastephens
    I made a challenge to myself to see how long I can go without sugar (I'll have 1 60% dark chocolate a night). I did cave a little for Halloween, but 3 almond joys and 2 jr mints over the last 4 days isn't too bad - oh and a piece of b-day cake with a friend.

I'm doing better with no sugar than I would with a little taste of something here and there (it adds up fast for me because I can't stop). Funny thing is sweets don't taste as good as they used to either. The last time I did this I could have sweets on Sat - so I'd save things and then after a few weeks none of it sounded good as I thought it would.

Good luck!

How did u give up the sugar? just cold turkey?
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member

Good luck!

How did u give up the sugar? just cold turkey?

Pretty much - I let myself have an extra diet coke because my real weekness is stopping at 1 sweet. Dark chocolate (60% + cocoa) is good. It's just bitter enough that I don't crave any afterwards. Most chocolates I think - 1 was good, and soon I'm eating 3-5 pieces (or more) at a time.
  • I am in the same boat. Let's make a resolution to have tea after eating for the rest of the month and see how it goes. I am having ice cream as I type :(

Lets do it. I dont really like tea..what would make tea good??

hmm... maybe we should join one of these 7 day sugar challenges or start our own!
    As for tea - have you ever tried white tea? It has a very delicate flavor. Also, celestial seasonings make fruit flavored teas. Maybe you could add some splenda to make it taste better.
  • try the sugar free jello puddings - so many good flavors!! also have you tried a sugar free fudgsicle - one is only 40 calories!
  • Billr
    Billr Posts: 1
    Like everyone else here I had the same problem. My solution was to just cut back on the sugars and over time the craving have lessened. My weakness is icecream, but I cut from a couple of scoops to just one small one (cut my calories by 1/3) and it satisfied my cravings.
    To open another can of worms - depending on the source, some of the sugar substitutes have their own issues on how good they are for you, personally I won't touch them.
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Sugar free gum maybe, or I have a sugar free hershey's chocolate ("fun size"), if I really want chocolate. they don't taste sugar free at all (hershey's nailed it!), but get's my chocolate fix.
  • karissastephens
    Sugar free gum maybe, or I have a sugar free hershey's chocolate ("fun size"), if I really want chocolate. they don't taste sugar free at all (hershey's nailed it!), but get's my chocolate fix.

where do u find those??
  • karissastephens
    Skinny cow ice cream bars help me. They make many different types. And they are yummy

those are yummmmmy but expensive and im in college :/ you know what that means... BROKE!
This discussion has been closed.