How long...........

Options
Are there any other 45 or so year old women out there? At the end of June I went for a visit with my doctor and weighed in at 200 lbs. I started right then and have lost about 12 lbs. Then....2 weeks ago I started MFP. I have actually gained 2 lbs. I am 5'6 and need to get to 150. I try to stay on plan, I only get 1200 calories per day. I am a nurse and on my feet on the days at work. I increased by exercise including cardio and body pump classes, etc. I have been up 2 1/2 lbs for 5 days and can't seem to shed it. I'm starting to panic. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have been a yo yo dieter all my life. I would like to get this weight off for good I feel like my metabolism has come to a screeching halt and I know that it only gets worse. I am really fighting the "F" it attitude. I'm trying to combat the negative feelings that will just make me give up.

Replies

• MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you just increased your exercise your body is probably retaining water, it's very common. :) If you're exercising, make sure you are eating back at least some of your exercise calories (you want to try to net at least 1200 calories per day).
  • Laughlin2012
    Options
    Hi Erikarn1,

I am a 55+ woman who hears you loud and clear. I am not sure what MFP is. If your body has been used to eating more than 1200 calories and now must eat 1200 calories your metabolism does come to a screeching halt. Your body goes into starvation mode. Don't give up, you will lost that bothersome 2.5 pounds that crept in overnight and more. It took more than a week to gain the weight you want to lose so why should it take only a short time to lose it. Keep your chin up :)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Don't panic. As a nurse, you know weight can fluctuate. I am 5'5" and I started at 168 and I was working my butt off. . . for over 1 month not an ounce left that scale. In fact, at TOM it went UP!!! Talk about unmotivating.

Just stick with it and the scale will move in the right direction. Don't give up!!!
  • slboling
    slboling Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hope you don't mind a 45 year old male who is also a nurse responding. You have got to figure out the true "why" you want to do this for yourself. You will never do it because somebody else told you to do it. Being open and honest of what makes us find comfort in food is the only way to stop the process. Weight loss is a need for lifestyle change. I can tell that you have the desire. And I also know that you can do this.
  • wannaberunner33
    wannaberunner33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. It's so much easier to listen to those negative thoughts, but don't! Personally, I think that you are eating too few calories. At 5'6" a 45 year old woman with an activity level of exercising between 1 and 3 hours a week should be eating around 1830 calories. That calorie goal is with the goal of losing fat and a 15% calorie reduction.
    That's just my two cents. Whatever you do, I encourage you to keep positive. You can do it!
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone on 1200 calories? The OP should be eating more than that at her current weight and still would be at a deficit. And the calories should adjusted lower and re evaluated as she loses weight and her activity level changes. :/

OP do you feel good? Do you have energy and feel vibrant throughout the day?
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Don't rush. Think about all the other reasons you are doing this: hopefully the main reason is to be HEALTHY. If you focus on health, the weight will come off. Think of exercise as a way to get stronger, more capable, more fit. Your meals should be nourishing and vibrant, not bland and "diet" like. When you change your mindset about the whole weight loss/diet thing it gets easier and actually enjoyable.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. It's so much easier to listen to those negative thoughts, but don't! Personally, I think that you are eating too few calories. At 5'6" a 45 year old woman with an activity level of exercising between 1 and 3 hours a week should be eating around 1830 calories. That calorie goal is with the goal of losing fat and a 15% calorie reduction.
    That's just my two cents. Whatever you do, I encourage you to keep positive. You can do it!

^^^ this.

This is becoming alarming to me. I'm no expert, I just play one on TV.
  • erikarn1
    Options
    Thank you for all of your replies. I am trying to tell myself to slow down, not worry, and I'll eventually get there. I know water weight can definitely be a factor. It just seems to overwhelming to gain and not lose!!!