How do you feel after your cardio work out?

Options
RhonndaJ
RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
Now, please understand that this is being asked from the perspective of a fat lady who, while having done a period of gym time in her life, it wasn't to the extent that I'm now pushing myself.

I find myself curious on what other people feel like immediately after their work outs and about a half hour or so later. And I mean both physically and emotionally.

I've got what I presume is normal... hot, sweaty, muscles screaming protest immediately after, along with feeling incredibly relieved that it's over, but also pretty darned pissed off in general, which fades after about three to five minutes, which isn't something that from what I'm hearing is normal.

A half hour later, my muscles are still cursing me, though with less vehemence, but mood wise I'm back to whatever I was pre-work out.

I've got it in my head, for whatever reason, that I should be feeling more upbeat, or energized from the exertion. I guess I'm curious about whether my perception of what I should be feeling is cliched, or maybe my personal reactions are related to being grossly overweight, or I'm just somewhere along the range of normal.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Exercise usually releases endorphins - which are the body's "feel good" hormones. So most people are on a little high when they finish. But hormones are darned unpredictable critters - maybe they affect you in a different way?
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day, where I'm at in my cycle, and how well I thought the session went. I just finished 12 miles and mostly I just feel relieved that it's over.
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Your emotions are normal but they get better. When I first get into routine (after a period of breaking), it's hard, I hate it. I get mad too (lol) that I have to go through the pain. But a few hours after, I always feel energized (I work out early in the AM - 4:45-5:30) so it pumps me up for the day....

I can't say that I felt energized when I first started. I realize now I'm apt to do more when I am exercising. I want to keep moving (i.e. housework, moving at work, etc.)
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Oh and don't give up because after going through all those emotions, there will come a time when you will feel a need to get your butt in the gym because how awesome it feels :)
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Oh and don't give up because after going through all those emotions, there will come a time when you will feel a need to get your butt in the gym because how awesome it feels :)

This. I've rarely had the "pissed off" kind of feeling after a gym session, but I'm a guy and that probably at least factors in. Workouts are hell for a while but give it enough time and you'll get to feeling guilty if you miss a workout! (heck, I get guilty nowadays if I don't feel I at least put in decent effort)
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I feel hot, sweaty, smelly, etc, but usually got the 'runner's high' going when i first get back. mind, if in the last 10 minutes some idiot decides to drive behind me for a while and honk his horn intermittently, i come home pi$$ed as hell.
    The energy can go both ways. but usually when my dog greets me at the door, happy wins out. (he has hip problems, else he'd be right out there with me).
  • ncotanche
    Options
    The only time I am ever grumpy and/or pissed off after a work is session is for specific reasons. 1) I didn't get enough sleep the night before and my body is definitely reminding me of the fact. 2) I ate right before working out (less than 10 minuets) 3) I forgot to eat at all before my work out (i.e. I skipped my pervious meal) or 4) I didn't properly cool down and stretch after working out.

In my experience half of having a good work out experience is what you do before and after. So maybe you should be looking at how you are preparing for your work out and what are you doing afterwards.

Being sore is normal, and can actually feel good one your body gets over this is a foreign feeling. It lets you know that you did well and are improving yourself. However, if your muscles are cramping like crazy you probably pushed yourself too hard and/or are not getting a balanced diet. Potassium deficiency is a big culprit in that regard. At least, that has been my experience.

Hope this helps :D
  • Jenloma
    Jenloma Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    After a 30 minute workout, I feel like I have tons of energy. YET, when I complete a 60 minute workout, I don't feel very good. I don't know why, but that is just me. I still do 60 minute workouts because its good to do. I tend to workout at night because after a 60 minute workout, I can go home and go to bed if I have to. I don't know why this occurs with me.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    hot, sweaty, don't feel like eating anything
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    Now, please understand that this is being asked from the perspective of a fat lady who, while having done a period of gym time in her life, it wasn't to the extent that I'm now pushing myself.

I find myself curious on what other people feel like immediately after their work outs and about a half hour or so later. And I mean both physically and emotionally.

I've got what I presume is normal... hot, sweaty, muscles screaming protest immediately after, along with feeling incredibly relieved that it's over, but also pretty darned pissed off in general, which fades after about three to five minutes, which isn't something that from what I'm hearing is normal.

A half hour later, my muscles are still cursing me, though with less vehemence, but mood wise I'm back to whatever I was pre-work out.

I've got it in my head, for whatever reason, that I should be feeling more upbeat, or energized from the exertion. I guess I'm curious about whether my perception of what I should be feeling is cliched, or maybe my personal reactions are related to being grossly overweight, or I'm just somewhere along the range of normal.

Sometimes I get pissed, usually if I know I could have done better. But after every run I do my legs are throbbing and hurting like crazy. That to me is normal. That's how you know you've done some work. Maybe after your body gets used to it and you, yourself enjoy it it will make you feel better. I am usually on a high after my runs .. then I am starving! haha
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    When I do strictly cardio, no resistance training, and if it's a good session, I generally feel tired buy relaxed. My legs feel totally relaxed, my breathing is good and my blood pressure is lower (of course you can't feel that.) If, on the other hand, I do cardio that I don't especially enjoy or when I'm not at all in the mood or really too tired to exercise, I feel just awful afterwards and am sorry I exercised.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I feel great............and drenched!
  • Debbiefit45
    Options
    Hi! Nice to read your post! I would suggest that you start out slow. If you're not use to exercise, it will take you some time to get use to it. You WILL get to a point where you will feel better! Then you cannot live without it! DON'T give up! I also would suggest that if you haven't worked out for a while, to get a physical; just to make sure you are physically "ok" to start.

I work out every day. I have since I was 25 years old. I'm almost 59. I'm a little bit of a fitness fanatic, but there is NOTHING better than the feeling I have during and after a workout. As a matter of fact, I feel kinda crappy if I don't workout.

Anyway, congratulations on getting started and good luck!!! Don't don't don't give up!! It will pay off.

Debbie
  • Person192
    Person192 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well exercise doesn't make me feel good, either. I though it would but it doesn't help at all. Going to the gym makes me feel angry because of the horrible music they play, and I'm getting sick of my music. Maybe you should try working out in a social or natural environment? ... Like running outside or joining a class or something. That's supposed to help depressed people, but maybe it will affect normal people too?
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's hard anticipating the hard workout ahead. My sneakers get tied up pretty slowly, but when I'm into it for about 5 minutes, I'm really into it. I love the intensity, sweat, knowledge that I'm doing something REALLY good for my body (even if I can't see the immediate results). I end the 30 minute workout dripping wet with sweat and feel exhilarated. Most times it's just not enough, I'll pop in another DVD and go for another hour.

I feel generally tired afterward as I head for the shower and it even hurts sometimes to lift my arms to wash my hair, but I feel very accomplished even if I did the lower intensity level.

I believe I am 100% responsible for my results.

Good luck and keep up the exercise.
  • scott1646
    scott1646 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I started doing Cardio in the gym in late June. I would say it took me at least 6 visits to the gym, to finally be less sore, less tired and have an increase in my energy level. Now that I go to the gym 3/4 times a week and non gym days I still get some nice walking in my day, I actually find myself less sore, I sleep better and filled with lots of energy that carries on for most of my day. My day is more alive after a cardio workout, I find myself just moving about more and very zippy. =)
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    After I finish cardio, if I have pushed really hard, I feel sweaty, tingly and a little lightheaded because I triggered some endorphins. I feel super giddy and silly for about 10 minutes, then abt 1/2 hour later I feel great, emotionally. Physically I am exhausted but the boost to my mood makes me forget all about it. That is EVEN if I was sore before I started from strength! :)
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options

Looking at your ticker, you are about 20% into your progress. Listen, at this time feeling great emotionally is more important. I don't care if its only for a short period of time. Perhaps you are impatient and want to see faster results? Perhaps you stuck in some plateau ? I don't know what your pre-workout mood is (tired, sad, lazy)... Whatever it is, what is important is you got up and went to exercise.

Personally, I feel when you will get stronger as you continue to strengthen your body and when you see your progress, knowing it is a results of your workout efforts you will end up a winner!!

Keep it up!!
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    The only time I've ever felt pissed is if I'm already having a really crappy day and it's just leftover mood OR when I'm pissed at myself for letting myself get so fat that even basic workouts wear me out. This is pretty rare, though, and only happens maybe 5% of the time. You might want to try to figure out where that anger is coming from. I would maybe scale back your workout a little bit and see if easing up helps you feel better instead of pissed off. I know I get pretty pissy when I do something that's super boring or way too hard.

Most of the time, I feel a mixture of relief that it's over and pride from finishing my workout and making my body better/healthier.

I usually get a rush of endorphins and happiness a few minutes after I finish and annoy my boyfriend by strutting around while saying, "I'm a beast!!! Look how many calories I burned! *shove HRM in his face* I'm a BEAST! Mwahahaha!"

Then, about ten minutes later, I'm in the shower, calming down and feeling pretty much ready to collapse. The good mood sticks around, though. I know no matter how I feel about my body or what people say, I won't look like this forever. Haters gonna hate, and all that.
  • becki1815
    becki1815 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I remember when I started doing Zumba, I would compare my performance to those around me. I would come out on the short end of that performance. I don't know what kind of cario workout you're doing, but if it's a group workout, that could be part of the feelings. Your body has to get used to the extra energy needs before the muscle stiffness improves. It does get better.

Also, if I don't drink enough water during my Zumba workout, it is a serious problem, so be sure you're stopping to replace the fluid you're losing in the sweat.

Good luck.