Yup! I'm not giving up my beer or wine...

Options
So after reading a few study abstracts (I know not the whole data), I've come to the conculsion I'm going to allow myself a glass or two of wine and beer maybe not everyday, but I'm not going to feel guilty about it. I may still allow the occasional weekend alcohol binge. What are your thoughts has giving up alcohol made an impact in your fitness? Or do you continue to drink and enjoy the fruits of your hard work?

Nutr Rev. 2011 Aug;69(8):419-31. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-4887.2011.00403.x.

Alcohol consumption and body weight: a systematic review.

Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci. 2005;42(3):197-227.

Is alcohol consumption a risk factor for weight gain and obesity?

Physiol Behav. 2010 Apr 26;100(1):82-9. Epub 2010 Jan 22.

Alcohol, appetite and energy balance: is alcohol intake a risk factor for obesity?

Am J Clin Nutr. 1991 Dec;54(6):976-82.

Perspectives: do alcohol calories count?

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    :smile: I gave up alcohol almost entirely because I'd rather eat my calories. I typically tie a good one on twice a year now at two annual parties that are traditions (July and December). I don't miss it at all to be honest and this is coming from someone who didn't even catch a buzz until a 12 pack was killed. If you can't picture your life without alcohol you might want to do some soul-searching, but that's a different topic and not why you're here!

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

The above link is pretty good, you might want to check it out.

Cheers! :drinker:
  • buyer225
    buyer225 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always said I'd rather drink my calories than eat them. It was more fun. But all I really did was drink them which also had me eating too much too. My husband and I love to sit at a bar on a Sat. night and watch sports, drink beer and eat wings, nachos, all kinds of pub food. He gains a few lbs. Not much. I blow up like a balloon. We also spend a lot of time with college friends and then there is real beer drinking. You'd think we were still in our 20's but we all have kids in their 20's. This time was different,. I gave it up. Also the wings, nachos, etc. But we still go out every Sat night. I eat better, drink water and still have a great time. A few weeks ago I lost a very close friend. Actually, his wife is my best friend. More like family. Since then, I spend a lot of time with her. We have gone through many bottles of wine. Not as much as I used to and I still eat better. Losing has definitely slowed down but I'm still losing. You can drink. Just not all the time. If you know you want to go out and have a few, exercise a little harder that day. Dieting doesn't mean you have to give up everything you like. People who think it's all or nothing rarely succeed at weight loss. As soon as you feel deprived, it's over. So have a few, just don't over do!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I have a seperate section in my diary for wine. Usually I prelog a glass, that was I don't go over if I want one at night.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    If I want a drink here and there I will log it, I really like the mikes light lemonade (100 cal) so I can easily have 1-2 or those and keep on track with my calories.

Other times like when I'm on holiday or out camping or at a wedding etc and I wanna have a bunch I call it a cheat, and get back on track the next day or whenever the get away/occasion is over.

Doesn't seem to have had any affect on my weight loss so far.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I havent given up wine or alcohol my choice is tequila not sure if it has slowed my weight loss down but i have lost 13 lbs so far but there are times especially on the weekends when I go overboard and I do eat too much (or forget what i ate lol) but I do log it
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've had to cut back on my drinking quite a bit when I started losing weight. I admittedly drank way too much before anyway, but it's really easy to consume too many calories drinking and not notice it. I still drink some on the weekends, you'd be surprised how much of a difference cutting out calories from alcohol can make.
  • vodkoffee
    vodkoffee Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Beer makes me bloated, personally, but I kept my tequila, vodka, and wine. Just in moderation. I also make sure I keep a healthy snack around because drinking gives me the munchies! :)
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of wine 4 days or so every week, with dinner. I've been on MFP since June 14th. Look how much weight I have lost. Alcohol doesn't slow weight loss with moderation.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Alcohol can add on the calories pretty quick, but you can maintain a healthy lifestyle, and lose weight with moderation. You will go crazy if you dont allow yourself a little booze when you want a drink. Every organized run that I have run in has free beer at the end- BOOYAH!
  • sheilarosella
    sheilarosella Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    still enjoy my wine..usually weekends and a glass or two after a long day at work..but always log and try to keep in my allowed calories..when I go over board it does effect weight loss so try to limit the amount..but life is for living :drinker:
  • medibrat
    medibrat Posts: 30
    Options
    Beer makes me bloated, personally, but I kept my tequila, vodka, and wine. Just in moderation. I also make sure I keep a healthy snack around because drinking gives me the munchies! :)

This! I find beer makes me retain water, no matter what I eat, so I only have beer once in a while. There are a variety of low cal coolers, and most clear booze is 90-is cal/shot...mix with diet soda, crystal light, club soda...so many options! I log as I go...prelog extra early, you can always remove it if you don't drink it.
  • ployjoy
    ployjoy Posts: 45
    Options
    I just turned 21, so there is no way I'm completely giving up drinking yet! I am a featherweight though, it takes me only one or two beers to get tipsy. I have been drinking all summer, a few beers here or there, and still have lost weight, so I don't see why it should effect reaching your goals too much as long as you drink in moderation.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    :drinker: cheers!
  • laplume06
    Options
    I don't give up my little white Martini (fresh but NEVER ice !!). Because pleasure is one of the key of success. Not 6 drinks all days and not every day but I think it's very important to have this little pleasure... No making guilty...
  • ChiFortunate1
    ChiFortunate1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    CHEERS!!! :drinker: I had a nice full glass of Chablis last night as I soaked in an Epsom Salt bath. I worked my booty off this week so I made a toast, to MEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! Plus I was PMS'ing like CRAZY! :drinker: :sad: :laugh: :explode: :glasses: :drinker:
    Still lost weight, still put it in my Food Log.
    Disclaimer: I only have a glass or a Bud Light Platinum around once every month. Not a "serious: drinker by any stretch.

21371726.png
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't ignore the fact that they have calories, go for it! But if you add the drinks on top of your normal calories, don't be surprised if you don't lose weight as fast as you expect.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I partake very rarely, but when I do, I log the calories and I still try to stay within my limits. A pint of Guinness is a rare treat at (IIRC) 170 calories, because I can usually think of a lot of foods at that calorie level that I would rather have for their nutrition. Occasionally I will measure out 1 ounce of cognac as a treat, but again only if I have room in my calorie budget.
  • Secondgoround
    Options
    I enjoy a couple of ounces of red wine maybe twice or so a week with my dinner. It satisfies me and I don't feel the need for a weekend alcohol binge. After looking at your diary, have you considered eating a good healthy breakfast to distribute your calories a little more evenly throughout the day? I would also try to work on giving up diet sodas or at least limiting to maybe once a week as a treat if you really enjoy them. I've found that I'm most successful when I eat a large variety of unprocessed, clean foods with an emphasis on vegetables and lower fat proteins.

Basically, it comes down to how bad you want this and you make a deal with yourself to do the very best you can. The support on this site is great but I think it's more importantly your personal challenge.
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    When I started this journey, I promised myself that I would not deprive myself of anything. I like to drink, cognac is my fav.
    With that said I have had to cut back a lot. But that's mainly because looking back I definitely used to drink too much. While I haven't given up drinking completely I've had to accept that there is not as much room for it in my eating plan. When I drink I log it in my food diary just like everything else. I have to ask myself what's more important, a big drink, or a decent meal. Most of the time it's the meal. Priorities change.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I've cut right back, and am hoping to abstain for at least 3 weeks now. Drank yesterday, but with me, I can't stop at one glass, or even one bottle. I love the taste too much. So it has to be all or nothing.
    If you can moderate then why the hell shouldn't you carry on? But with me, well, my liver will thank me.