Hair thinning out of no where?

Options
I was just wondering if there are any women in their late 20s early 30s who all of a sudden started shedding hair and had their hair thin out? Im only 29 and in the last 2 mths my hair (which was always thin but not thin enough to see my scalp etc) has been shedding terrible and thinned so much! Im just trying to figure out what it could be from and how to stop it and get it to grow back. I quit smoking over a mth ago, started taking hair vitamins and have improved my diet so its alot healthier. I also exercise 5 days a week to get in shape and get rid of stress. Im really devastated over this and am hoping that it was from stress, or dyeing it too much or maybe smoking and a crappy diet and since i chanced all these things will come back.. Anyone else have this happen to them? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you getting daily? Same goes for Vit. B. Are you getting enough through your diet? I'm not sure about the composition of those hair vitamins but I guess they have at least some biotin.
  • Slim7Dee
    Slim7Dee Posts: 17
    Options
    It's possibly the shampoo you're using. Have you had your thyroid checked? There are many reasons, the obvious one is stress!! Speak to your pharmacist and if need be your doctor. Good luck.
  • ruksha123
    ruksha123 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing and have done since I was in my twenties. It really freaked me out the first few years and I tried everything and every shampoo (including baby shampoo) to no avail.
    I've noticed that I shed a lot more this time of year. I think it may be some sort of cycle or something or the change from summer to autumn.

Ensure you do not comb your hair when it is still wet as you stretch it and it breaks.

Do not worry about it too much but see a doctor to put your mind at rest.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If it keeps happening, a thyroid check is the way to go.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a symptom of a bigger problem. You need to visit your doctor!! Take care!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    A diet too low in calories will cause this, too. How much are you eating? NET? Your weight loss goal should be no more than 1/2 to one pound per week, since you have so little to lose.

AND you need to be eating all your exercise calories since you are so close to your healthy weight goal.

• LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    When Atkins was super popular back in 03, I did a stupidly extreme version of it. My hair would come out by the handful in the shower. Once I got back to a more balanced diet, it stopped. Not saying that's what's going on with you, but that's how it happened with me. I hope you find the answers you need!
  • gmichaelguy
    gmichaelguy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    See a doctor.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I did. It was stress. I'd take showers and handfulls of hair would fall out.

When I get less stressed it stops. When I am more stressed it starts again. Nothing nutritional about it for me.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Stress is a possibility. Lack of key nutrients is another. You're taking vitamins, and your body will have more access to vitamins now that you are not smoking, so it's not likely to be vitamins, but if you've reduced calories, it could be not enough protein, fat or calories. Lots of people who are eating too little (say under 1200 net) report this problem). If reducing or managing stress and eating above 1,200 net (that is after subtracting off calories you exercised) don't fix the problem, see a doctor. If you have other symptoms, you may want to see a doctor anyway.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    See a doctor.
    yup
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if there are any women in their late 20s early 30s who all of a sudden started shedding hair and had their hair thin out? Im only 29 and in the last 2 mths my hair (which was always thin but not thin enough to see my scalp etc) has been shedding terrible and thinned so much! Im just trying to figure out what it could be from and how to stop it and get it to grow back. I quit smoking over a mth ago, started taking hair vitamins and have improved my diet so its alot healthier. I also exercise 5 days a week to get in shape and get rid of stress. Im really devastated over this and am hoping that it was from stress, or dyeing it too much or maybe smoking and a crappy diet and since i chanced all these things will come back.. Anyone else have this happen to them? Thanks in advance.

Up your protein. When you are losing weight and not getting enough protein, the hair is the first to go. Nothing you take (supplement wise) will stop this if you don't get the protein in. I learned that the hard way. Good news is, up your protein and it stops and the hair starts to grow back.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    A co worker was on the Medi Fast weight loss program last year, and she was having the same problem. From what I understand, it is a low carb weight loss program. She swears it is from eating too few carbs. She lost 50#'s and quit the program last November. She is still watching what she eats, and doing low carbs, but not limiting fruit as much as she did on Medi-Fast. She thinks the lack of carbs, particularly fruit, is why it happened. Her hair is coming back in now. It cost her $1000.00 to be on the program.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Get your thyroid checked! Lost 2/3 of my hair when I was 23 !
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    It could be as simple as stress or not enough fat/calories/protein etc. but I would say check with your doctor to rule out anything more serious.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    My docs told me lack of protein will cause hair loss.

I can honestly say I think they might be on to something. I have had three really bad series as I call them of my hair just thinning. I up my protein and Voila! with in a few weeks the hair falling out is less.
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the all the advice! Ive recently been at the drs for a check up and all that and was fine, of course at that time i didnt notice my hair so it must not of been thinning as much then. I had my thyroid checked after i had my daughter to make sure i didnt have any issues with that and since it just happened within the last 2 mths i really think it could be attributed to stress and not being healthy! This past yr i became a full time college student again and im a single mom with a hyper 4 yr old so i could see where the stress comes in. My last semester was super stressful.. I also started my diet only eating 1300 calories a day and uped it to 1600 because i do too much cardio and was starving and tired, and at 1600 i do eat all my calories back. I also do eat alot of protein, im usually over my daily limit on here. But ill just wait and see and keep eating healthy and trying to be less stressed and if it gets worse ill goto the drs.. I know everything takes time so ill have to give it just that!
  • etajr
    etajr Posts: 49
    Options
    Get your thyroid function checked.
  • mystikalbeanz
    Options
    Get your thyroid checked! Lost 2/3 of my hair when I was 23 !

Did your hair come back after you figured out what caused it?
  • mystikalbeanz
    Options
    My docs told me lack of protein will cause hair loss.

I can honestly say I think they might be on to something. I have had three really bad series as I call them of my hair just thinning. I up my protein and Voila! with in a few weeks the hair falling out is less.

Ill def try uping my protein intake and see if that helps! Thanks