I want to start doing heavy weights, but I hate the gym!

Options
Hi all! I am on a plateau and have been considering starting to "lift heavy". I know that for other women sometimes it really helps them tone and get out of a rut/plateau.

The problem: I have a set of 5lb dumbbells, and a set of 20lb dumbbells. I have a pull-up bar. And that's IT!

I HATE the gym, and I will not be joining one. So that's out too!

So my question is: is there a way to do heavy lifting with only home stuff? or will I need to buy a bunch more equipment? What's the best way to go about starting this process?

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    a power rack, bench, and olympic weight set will have you set up.
  • argenterie
    argenterie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Should I check walmart or somewhere like that for those things?
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'd start with a bench, a barbell, and some plates. You might also want plates for your dumbbells depending on the style. You can also check books and online for bodyweight exercises. If you can't afford a power rack, as I understand they're expensive, maybe you could attach brackets or hooks to a sturdy wall and use that? It might work.
  • stfriend
    Options
    Walmart can be a good place. Also check Goodwill, Craigslist, and, if you have it in your area, Freecycle. I see exercise stuff at these places all the time.
  • barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    Options
    Depending on your home circumstances / whereabouts could you check for something like a para-fitness/army boot camp fitness class near you ? The reason I say is because I've known them include things like log lifts or have you got a wood pile you could attack with the axe ? Exercise and stress relief in one move :wink:
  • argenterie
    argenterie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Good ideas! I never thought to check used equipment. I'll look into that! Thanks all!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    nerdfitness has a really good bodyweight programme so you could get started in the meantime.
  • wellbert
    Options

No.

A sports store, or amazon. Expect to spend about $1300 for everything in general.

You don't need a $700 barbell, but you don't want a $150 one either.
  • stfriend
    Options

No.

A sports store, or amazon. Expect to spend about $1300 for everything in general.

Why? Not being sarcastic, I'm serious. Whats the difference for those of us still new to this?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    a power rack, bench, and olympic weight set will have you set up.

Dumbbells are nice to have too :)
  • wellbert
    Options

No.

Why? Not being sarcastic, I'm serious. Whats the difference for those of us still new to this?

Quality. Cheap ones bend.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    See if you have a "Play It Again" sports equipment in your area. They have tons of weight training equipment at a good price.

Edit: Just checked on line, they have 8 in Georgia and one in Atlanta.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    See if you have a "Play It Again" sports equipment in your area. They have tons of weight training equipment at a good price.
    Play It Again is a great suggestion, as well as Craigslist (mentioned above). Also, yard sales can be a great resource especially for bars benches and plates.

Here is a link for Play It Again stores in your area (profile officially stalked! :tongue: )
    http://www.playitagainsports.com/locations/list/GA
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

No.

This is why I've been skipping over this question all day. This is the equipment you need; it's expensive, takes a lot of space, and dangerous to use alone if you are not 100% sure of how to use it safely.

In other words, you need to join a gym. You don't have to stay the rest of your life, just long enough to be sure lifting is something you're ready to commit to, spend money on, and set aside home space for. Better to spend $40 a month for 6 mos to a year than write a fat check for a new place to hang your laundry. You hate the gym, but I'd bet you'd hate blowing $1500 even more. Especially on equipment you have no idea how to use.

Baby steps. Join a gym. Get some training. Develop a routine that suits your goals. Then spend a ****load of money.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Academy has a bench set with 100 lbs for $79. 6 plates in all. I'm getting one!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

No.

I'm sure there are differences in different $150 barbells, but I paid about that 10ish years ago for one at a local sporting goods store, and it has held up with no noticeable bending (although the most weight I've ever used it for was 300 lb deadlifts). Given that she's just starting out, there may be an argument for a serviceable $150 barbell in her basic equipment.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    If you do bench pressing with free weights, and need a spotter... please get a spotter!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you do bench pressing with free weights, and need a spotter... please get a spotter!!

Or something like this: http://newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html

(Not disagreeing with everyone saying that there are clearly benefits to joining a gym, but there are still solutions to the problem if someone really doesn't want to go that route.)
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    My solution was the Chalene Extreme program from Beach Body and a set of Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells (adjustable from 2.5 to 52.5 lbs) with the rack. I work out in my living room.
  • julzrose
    Options
    I started a Beach Body program called Les Mills Pump. It comes with weights. I am new at weight lifting but I can do the modifications. I do this workout in my living room.