Average heart rate + HRM burning questions.

Options
So I have a quick question about HRM use, and average heart rates and whatnot.

I walk at a brisk place, with occasional bursts of jog. About 6.5km an hour is my average speed. And I've been using my HRM for about two weeks now, and while I love it, my readings seem very high compared to what I've been reading everyone else having.

I currently weigh 92kg, and I'm 168cm tall. When I walk, my heart rate average comes out between 160 and 170. I try to keep it around there by keeping the pace brisk, though it's taking more now as I slowly lose weight. I put my weight on my HRM as 89kg right now, wanting to not have to update it every day and whatnot.

And today I went out and walked 7.2km, taking 61 minutes, and it said I burned 801cals.

I've been reading a bunch of other peoples posts on HRM, and how they're surprised at how low it is etc. But. Mine seems high? My stats are all correct in it, am I just over thinking?

Replies

• gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    That may be correct, due to your weight.

I weigh 151 am 5'2" and when I run about 8k it's usually 800-900 cals. For instance, I ran 8.25 yesterday - burned 888kcal. Of course these are all estimated, I'd rather use my HRM and be somewhat off rather than wayyy over estimating or under estimating my cals. I over estimate on my food so I try not to over on my workouts! Good luck!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    In general if you want accurate results you need to enter you personal info as it is at the time you are exercising. Yes it can be a PITA to update it but you should do so for ever 5lb or 2 kg of loss.
    as you get fitter you will work harder to get to you HR target. If you go online and look at calorie burn calculators they give a lower burn for your weight, approximate speed and duration of exercise.
    What brand of HRM do you have? Does it have a chest strap? if its just a wrist band then they tend to be off quite a bit.

I would plug you time distance weight etc into an online calorie burn calculator and see where you stand.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Does your HRM have the chest strap or is it the on demand one that you have to press the button for it to take your HR? And allow you to enter your age, height, weight, and sex?

If so it would be the most accurate number. I know when I first got mine it seemed low but that was compared to the MFP database and numbers it gives you which tend to be almost double what my HRM tells me.
  • hanneberries
    hanneberries Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Does your HRM have the chest strap or is it the on demand one that you have to press the button for it to take your HR? And allow you to enter your age, height, weight, and sex?

If so it would be the most accurate number. I know when I first got mine it seemed low but that was compared to the MFP database and numbers it gives you which tend to be almost double what my HRM tells me.

It has a chest strap! And I've entered age, weight, and fitness level. I don't remember whether or not it let me put in my height or sex, but I think so right when I set it up for the first time? I can't remember now, hah! But it definitely lets you add weight and whatnot, and you can edit that as you lose.
  • hanneberries
    hanneberries Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In general if you want accurate results you need to enter you personal info as it is at the time you are exercising. Yes it can be a PITA to update it but you should do so for ever 5lb or 2 kg of loss.
    as you get fitter you will work harder to get to you HR target. If you go online and look at calorie burn calculators they give a lower burn for your weight, approximate speed and duration of exercise.
    What brand of HRM do you have? Does it have a chest strap? if its just a wrist band then they tend to be off quite a bit.

I would plug you time distance weight etc into an online calorie burn calculator and see where you stand.

It's a Suunto M4, and comes with a chest strap. I keep my weight updated on it, though a bit lower, so that every time I hit that weight, I lower it a few more, both for a bit of burn room, and knowing that when I have to update it again, i'll have done a proper loss!