BMR/TDEE...Too many Calories??? Please Help.

Options
2»

Replies

• mlashay
    mlashay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I got mine done at the gym at my local comm college. Look up Body Gem - that is the device they used. It cost me $39 to get it done.

And it is accurate? What is the information it gives you?
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    if you have your prior measurements and weights you can use this to see where you have been.
    There is a range between the methods - most people use the military method. I would use your current measurments to see where you are now. Then you can use the BF% in your TDEE calculation for a better result.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/
  • SusanDDuncan1
    Options
    One thing to factor in - what is your body comp doing? have you been looking at your body fat% and lean body mass over time? If you have recorded your measurements along with your weight you can go back and look at those metrics as well for comparison. If your BF%is dropping and your lean mass is increasing then I probably would not change until I plateaued. If your BF% is dropping and you lean mass is dropping as well I would up the cals to help hold onto and rebuild my lean muscle mass.

I agree. There is a website I looked at that calculated the goal based on the current body fat %. I can't find it, but it was less than MFP came up with. As long as you are covering your lean mass, you can go lower. 2 trainers told me not to eat back the exercise calories as long as I was eating nutritiously. I am actually over the protein MFP goal and under the carbs based on my nutrition plan.

I think you are doing it the right way by eating more when you feel the need. I have a higher carb level every 4 days.
  • SusanDDuncan1
    Options
    If someone can test your body fat using calipers and the calculations, that is the the most accurate way.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I personally follow my TDEE - 600....it has worked GREAT for me!
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I would do your TDEE -20%. Just make sure you recalculate every 5 pounds (the more you weigh, the more you need to eat - as you lose weight you'll need to eat less).

1600 calories is working for you right now, but you'll plateau. Also what a pp said about losing muscle mass - you don't want to do that, either. 2400 may seem like a lot but you will get used to it :) eat that amount everyday but don't eat back exercise cals (they're already factored in). When you first increase your cals you may experience bloating, etc, and see a 'gain' on the scale - but it's just water weight and it will go away.

If you want this weight loss to be forever, you need a lifestyle change and not a diet. Do you want to eat 1600 calories for the rest of your life? Doubt it ;) Try TDEE -20% (and check out the eat more to weigh less group here at MFP, full of people cutting from their TDEE and seeing fabulous results)
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MissLoniKay
    Options
    I would agree if it ain't broke why fix it kinda thing. If you are good at listening to your body, it is probably being honest with you:-) But at the same time, checking with your doctors opinion on the matter seems prudent. We all have great ideas and suggestions but I would guess most of us are not dietitians or nutritionist.

Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

I don't know how you came up with 3021 as your TDEE - that is really high, even for a woman who exercises.

I regularly do this if not more on a workout day. My TDEE is 2500 on a normal day. If the OP is a nurse or someone who's on their feet all day, it's not an improbable number.
  • mlashay
    Options

I don't know how you came up with 3021 as your TDEE - that is really high, even for a woman who exercises.

I regularly do this if not more on a workout day. My TDEE is 2500 on a normal day. If the OP is a nurse or someone who's on their feet all day, it's not an improbable number.

Well I put my activity level as 3-5hrs of exercise per week. But I am also quite overweight so as a higher weight wouldn't it calculate that as burning even more calories than say someone who was lighter?
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

Well I put my activity level as 3-5hrs of exercise per week. But I am also quite overweight so as a higher weight wouldn't it calculate that as burning even more calories than say someone who was lighter?

That is correct! :D

Every few pounds or so, you'll want to have MFP reevaluate your goals. As you loose, your TDEE will get smaller.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

If you are just going through the motions in your workouts 3-5 hours a week I would drop down to the next lower activity level but if you are kick *kitten* drenched in sweat way out of breath the whole 3-5 hours I would leave it where you are now.
    Just be sure to redo the calculations for every 5 lbs you loose and also for every % of body fat you drop. Make sure you track your inches as well as you weight and record them when you do your weekly check in. The body fat can change quite a bit without much movement on the scale and will effect the calculation of the TDEE.

I have been stuck at 162 for weeks but my BF% has dropped by 4% so be sure to track that as well!
  • mlashay
    Options
    If you are just going through the motions in your workouts 3-5 hours a week I would drop down to the next lower activity level but if you are kick *kitten* drenched in sweat way out of breath the whole 3-5 hours I would leave it where you are now.

well it says "moderate exercise" But I never just go through the motions of my workouts ha The point is for me to come out sweating and feeling like I just kicked some *kitten*.