Healthier biscuits & sausage gravy?

Options
kermiehiho
kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
I just made some sausage gravy over biscuits (Pillsbury grands flaky layers), and imagine my suprise when my little 1.5 biscuit+.5 cup sausage gravy came out to almost 400 cals! :frown: So I wanted to ask if anyone knows of any HEALTHIER brands of biscuits out there, or if anyone has a healthified recipe for sausage gravy (a food I totally fell in love with after I tried it at Middlebury's cafeteria in Vermont :love: ; should have known by how good it was that it would be bad for you...)?

Replies

• frogtoestoo
    Options
    :laugh: I don't think there is such a thing as healthy biscuits and gravy. It's probably one of those things that you need to treat yourself to once in a GREAT while and exercise off ASAP! (I love it, too!)
  • frogtoestoo
    Options
    By the way, I'm REALLY surprised it was only 400 calories. I would have guessed A LOT more!
  • sara1786
    sara1786 Posts: 101
    Options
    I've found two recipies for the biscuits. Couldn't find any for the gravy though; I'm not sure if there is such a thing as low-calorie gravy.

http://www.momswhothink.com/healthy-recipes/healthy-homestyle-biscuits-recipe.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/RE00034
  • happyhealthyme
    Options
    I Love biscuits and gravy! I'd have to break the recipe down for you to get the nutrition info but here's some suggestions.

Gravy - Turkey Sausage, whole wheat flour and fat free milk (salt and pepper to taste) or there are fat free country gravy mixes that you can make with fat free milk and add some lean turkey sausage or sausage links

Biscuits - Small canned biscuits are pretty low cal but not very filling...my suggestion is heart smart bisquick or a whole wheat biscuits (That way its more filling making moderation a snap)

Hope that helps! :)
  • kermiehiho
    Options
    Well, it was a guesstimate, but I did only eat 1.5 biscuit and .5 cup of sausage gravy (made with no butter and skim milk). I'm cutting down to one biscuit when I eat the leftovers for lunch. :tongue:
  • kermiehiho
    Options
    I Love biscuits and gravy! I'd have to break the recipe down for you to get the nutrition info but here's some suggestions.

Gravy - Turkey Sausage, whole wheat flour and fat free milk (salt and pepper to taste) or there are fat free country gravy mixes that you can make with fat free milk and add some lean turkey sausage or sausage links

Biscuits - Small canned biscuits are pretty low cal but not very filling...my suggestion is heart smart bisquick or a whole wheat biscuits (That way its more filling making moderation a snap)

Hope that helps! :)
    a

Thanks much! Those substitutions sound easy enough (certainly not complicating the recipe any). Heart healthy bisquick sounds healthier, but still quick and easy. That is totally the last time I make Pillsbury grands. Those guys were huge! I did a bit of research, and Pillsbury does seem to have a whole wheat biscuit; anyone ever tried those?
  • Huxalyn
    Huxalyn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Dunno about gravy, but I use Alton Brown's buttermilk biscuit recipe (I put it in the food database, it's about 130 cals per biscuit):
    * 2 cups flour
    * 4 teaspoons baking powder
    * 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    * 3/4 teaspoon salt
    * 2 tablespoons butter
    * 2 tablespoons shortening
    * 1 cup buttermilk, chilled

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using your fingertips, rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster the better, you don't want the fats to melt.) Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.

Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Press into a 1-inch thick round. Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Place biscuits on baking sheet so that they just touch. Reform scrap dough, working it as little as possible and continue cutting. (Biscuits from the second pass will not be quite as light as those from the first, but hey, that's life.)

Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top, 15 to 20 minutes.

These really don't take long to make. 30-45 min when you know what you're doing.
  • bootsnspurs4horses
    Options
    Use chicken broth instead of animal fat to mix your flour with. .. then add FF milk. . salt and pepper. Made for a much lighter gravy without the heavy grease.

I usually fry my turky sausage, and whatever grease I have from that. . mix the chicken broth and the flour to get your gravy consistency. Then milk and salt and pepper
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Maybe the key isn't to make a low cal sausage gravy and biscuit, but instead to reward yourself with the real thing in exchange for a super-duper workout? It would be a great breakfast before/ meal after a big hike or a long day of yard work or a run.

I LOVE sausage gravy and biscuits. I'm a Southern Girl. I was born and raised on 'em. :wink:
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    There's not i tried making lowfat biscuits and gravy it was disgusting.