Olive Oil is ruining my day

Options
2»

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    That's disgusting. Your vegetables would be literally floating in oil. I doubt anyone would serve food that way, even less eat it.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    That's disgusting. Your vegetables would be literally floating in oil. I doubt anyone would serve food that way, even less eat it.

Your not from the deep south are you...... Fried okra is the bomb....
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Hi there. At least it was a large amount of veggies and not something really heavy like fried chicken. In that sense, you made a decent choice. It's just this once and tomorrow is another day. What you could do today is go for a nice long walk (if you don't want to walk outdoors go to a local mall and just circle it a few times). That might burn off some of those calories. FYI - You might want to look into a support group to help you with the binge eating. You could even invite your mom so she's aware of what she needs to do to help you loose weight and stay confident. College will be pretty stressful, but they may even have a group that you could join there that's willing to support you while your on your own. Now, what you could do is provide your mom with some healthy ways to cook some of your veggies so that she'll know what you like. This is a neat website and the cook talks about how she prepares certain veggies. I'm sure there are tons out there in addition to this website. I would get her to steam all your veggies in the future which means you could eat a ton without worrying so much. :) Either way, don't stress yourself. At least you ate veggies which are really good for you.

Here's the website: http://bakeoff-flunkie.blogspot.com/2010/02/rescuing-frozen-broccoli.html

Does anyone else have some great websites for cooking veggies? They might be a great tool to help her educate her mom. Sometimes mom's don't realize the amount of calories in stuff so we have to gently help them. I've been working on that by creating cheat cards to tell my mom calories for items she uses regularly. It's changing her cooking habits. Grin.
  • Usnae10
    Usnae10 Posts: 2
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You don't have to count the Olive oil completely, the best way to average is to weigh the oil before and after. That will give you a good starting point. Of course there is oil that getss leaked into the paperclothes but you can always weigh them before and after as well. The fact that you are aware of the dangers of frying and that you watch that intake is a Koodos for you. You are on the right track. Don't go too hard on yourself, weight loss is a step by step transformation. Keep up the good work. And just as a side note, this oil problem is actually an algebra question, so our math teachers were correct! Thanks for posting this, it made me loook the info up and use my brain today!
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Ok. Here is what I did, and I hope it makes sense to you. Go into your goal settings and change your goal weight to your current weight. Then click maintain weight (instead of lose 2 lbs a week), then click calculate, or whatever the button is to move on. This will tell you your calorie total you can eat each day WITHOUT gaining weight.. When I have a bad day, I look at this number and if I haven't gone too far over, I feel pretty good about it. Don't worry about the fat, you will get the runs and lose most of it tomorrow or the next day!

You are only 350 over right now. I'm sure you will find your maintenance calorie intake (as you figure it above) WILL allow you to eat this evening! 350 over, after lunch isn't bad. Just do some exercise and then have a light supper.

ADD ME! Brenda_1965

Does anyone think that sodium goal is high? 2500?
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options

It indeed is. Take it as the maximum limit for sodium. It's better to keep it around 1500mg.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Not really. That's the recommended intake by the NHS in the UK.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Your not from the deep south are you...... Fried okra is the bomb....
    mmm okra!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I think the average oil absorption during frying is 10%? I'd say 25% of the used amount is the absolute most that would make it onto your plate, and that's if it was overcooked and left to sit for a while before serving. You definitely didn't have half a cup of olive oil. Don't worry.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    There's no use crying over spilled.....olive oil :huh:

Don't let it get inside your head or else you may binge on something else.
    I know exactly how you feel right now.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Ok. Here is what I did, and I hope it makes sense to you. Go into your goal settings and change your goal weight to your current weight. Then click maintain weight (instead of lose 2 lbs a week), then click calculate, or whatever the button is to move on. This will tell you your calorie total you can eat each day WITHOUT gaining weight.. When I have a bad day, I look at this number and if I haven't gone too far over, I feel pretty good about it. Don't worry about the fat, you will get the runs and lose most of it tomorrow or the next day!

You are only 350 over right now. I'm sure you will find your maintenance calorie intake (as you figure it above) WILL allow you to eat this evening! 350 over, after lunch isn't bad. Just do some exercise and then have a light supper.

ADD ME! Brenda_1965

I leave mine set to maintenance so that I see my true protein needs(then also manually changed it) but I like to see it that way too, red ugly numbers aren't motivating to me(only went over once in my month here) n my "healthy" deficient is less than the 500 n I would usually under cut that so not to possibly go over n see red ick.

and I don't think the sodium's high, I easily go over several times a week lol, I just drink lots of water n go over my potassium a couple of times a week as well, I see that as my max, not my goal.(for sodium)
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    In Silicon Valley, most restaurants post the calories of each item. I am finding most of the food is 1000 calories (for one dish). I find it hard to stay under that for one meal so I just order a salad and a bowl of soup. STILL went over 1000 with that at the Elephant Bar! I think they used heavy cream and olive oil in their dressing. I still lost a pound this week. I met a friend I hadn't seen in 2 years...at Fresh Choice in Campbell. Found out when I got there that it had closed...so we went to a place near by...Elephant Bar. I hardly eat out right now, it is pretty difficult to stay within the limit/and eat vegan.