Ab routine to help with running.

Options
Hi all,
I'm in the midst of training for a half marathon (at the end of October). I have done them before but not since having kids. I have found that I'm really, REALLY weak in my abdominals - I blame having two ten pound plus babies!! Does anyone have a good strengthening routine for the abs that I could do daily to help me with my running?!? I have a swissball, if that helps...

Replies

• Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    - Planks
    - C-Sit Position
    - Standing leg lifts -- lift one leg up and down for 30 seconds, then hold leg up and pulse up and down (not touching ground) for 30 seconds, then extend foot out in front of you for 30 seconds -- then switch legs. That would target your lower abs and your hip flexors -- it's a tough exercise, could start with less time for it.
    - 6-inch killer type workouts
    - long jumps (believe it or not, that kills your abs; my abs have been sore for a few days from doing standing long jumps).

I do a lot of insanity/asylum workouts -- so got all of these from those videos.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    planks, side planks, twisting planks, more planks. I also like slow, controlled bicycle crunches. I keep a 'plank journal', tracking how long I can hold, I went from sweating and shaking at the 30 second mark to being able to hold for 3 minutes. PR-ed my last marathon, too. Good luck!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    barbell squats
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    What is the 'C-sit position'?
    Thanks for all the other suggestions too!