Cardio I can do whole recovering from shin splints???

Options
Something low impact that still burns a good amount of calories...anything?:/

*while

Replies

• fmmonty
    fmmonty Posts: 2
    Options
    Some suggestions from the NHS website are cycling or swimming. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shin-splints/Pages/Introduction.aspx
  • JulieDerda
    JulieDerda Posts: 163
    Options
    Find a gym Or someone who owns a row machine. GREAT cardio exercise. It will kick your butt. :) (but wear gloves cuz it will give you blisters too) :wink:
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I got real bad shin splint in my right leg and I bought a shin splint sleeve from Zensah (the best sports "Medicine" brand gear around in my opinion) to help with it. While it isn't a painkiller, it makes a difference. I wear it everyday when I plan on doing any running.
    Costs about 20 bucks and I think it has made a big time difference.
    I have it on one of my profile pictures if you want to see what it looks like.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    swimming, cycling, rowing machine.

if you choose to do the rowing machine, youtube some instructional videos. it is such an easy machine to get wrong, but when done right, it is super effective like a water-move against a rock-type.
  • cubanken
    cubanken Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Something low impact that still burns a good amount of calories...anything?:/

*while

I use KTape, I found it on amazon, my trainer told me about it and it really works on shin splints. I can still walk briskly whilst recovering and not be in pain. I usually change out between 3 mile jogs and 7 mile hikes with a 30lb pack on.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    DDPYoga, kinda like hot yoga, you engage with no impact, heart rate goes up!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i noticed i can go downhill a lot easier/less pain than running on a flat surface.
    landing on the balls of my feet helps too
  • cole_carter
    cole_carter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would go with cycling because I do not enjoy swimming.

I do have a remedy that worked for me with Shin splints.

It is called Arnica ... It is a plant that is used topically. It stops pain, reduces inflamation and accelerates healing.

I comes in a cream and a gel ... I recommend the gel because it soaks in fast ... and has no odor or color.

The product I used was Arniflora Gel that I got from whole foods. It is a common herbal product and it really works.

Best wishes.
  • shatteredsmile
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll definitely try the rowing machine at my gym, and biking, plus I have a cycling class and yoga class weekly, so I should be good! I'm kinda bummed that I have to stop running or a while though:(