Just over a year on MFP w/ pics!

Options
SuperCork
SuperCork Posts: 192 Member
As of today, I have been using MFP for just over one year...but the truth of the matter is that my weight loss "journey" began in the summer of 2009.
As of my last weigh-in, I have lost approximately 84lbs since my heaviest weight (44lbs of that has been since August 2011).
My current BMI is 24.7 and at my heaviest it was close to 38.
In the summer of 2009, I started buying size 18 clothes, which disturbed me greatly, but I still believed I was doing a pretty good job of hiding how big I'd gotten from the world. Then I saw a picture of myself wearing one of the outfits I believed best "hid" things and...well, I was very wrong.

This is how I looked at my heaviest, which was 256lbs (I'm 5'10" btw):
DSCN1434.jpg
DSCN1434.jpg
DSCN1453.jpg
ummmmm....just, don't even bother asking what I was doing in this picture...

DSCN1464.jpg

eta: Idk why these pics are cut in half and I'm too lazy to investigate. It's Photobucket's fault. I HATE photobucket...

So, it was a few months after these that I saw the picture of myself that effed my mind up and decided I needed to do something right away. In July/August of 2009, I slowly began cutting calories, improving my nutrition, and then after a few months I cut out all processed foods and grain products. By the end of October, I had lost 40lbs and (even though the following picture is from May of 2010, the 40lbs is still gone) looked like this:

DSCN1858.jpg

Basically, not much visible difference (aside from a crappy haircut) after losing FORTY pounds!!! Why did I even bother sharing this pic? For all my fellow tall ladies who might be feeling frustrated by the fact that a short gal can lose 10lbs and see a huge difference. Frankly, it just doesn't work that way for us so...be patient: it WILL happen, I promise!!

Anyway, that last picture was taken 1) on my dad's wedding day (we like to keep it casual--shut up!) and 2) at the beginning of a more than year-long slalom to emotional rock bottom, which...brings me to MFP.

So, on August 1, 2011, I made a major life decision that would eventually get me to where I am today, BUT that began with a lot of pain, misery, anger, etc. Initially, I lost my appetite and noticed that I lost a few pounds along the way. Sadly, I first came to MFP for not the best of reasons: I hoped the involuntary weight loss could continue voluntarily AND tracking food was the main thing in my life I felt I had control over (not a healthy mindset at all--I don't recommend it).

After a few weeks of traditional dieting, I found myself really angry one day. Now, since August 1, 2011 I had pretty much been angry all day, every day, occassionally (read: often) mixing it up with some good old-fashioned tears, whining, and feeling really sorry for myself (but through all of this knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'd made the right decision, no matter how painful--this is key), so to say that I was EXTRA angry this day is really something. And the anger was set off by something really small like someone slightly bumping my toe with their foot while we stood on line at the supermarket (my first thought was "Imma KILL dis b*tch"...I didn't! Or did I...? No, no. Didn't. I swear). I happened to be on my way to the gym already (I'd joined up the week before and gone a few times, but hadn't really gotten much from it), so I thought "I've heard literally working off your anger can really help, so what can it hurt to try?" And I did. I went as hard as I could, which honestly wasn't hard at all, and finished my workout.

No change.

Then, on my way to the car, something curious happened: I wasn't angry anymore. Not only that, I felt...good, physically and mentally. So, from that point on, I got in the gym or out for a walk, etc. 6 days a week, every week. I continued refining my eating (initially I had just cut calories, but over time I started paying SERIOUS attention to nutrition, and since about May of this year, I've again cut out nearly all processed foods and grain products) and...

I'm stronger than I've ever been. I have more energy than I've ever had. I have more muscle definition than I've ever had (and I used to lift in high school when I rowed--but nothing like how I beast now). I'm now officially the same size that I was at my thinnest in high school (size 10, 149lbs) but...I'm roughly 23lbs heavier than at that time. My skin, hair, and gums look the best they've ever looked (thank YOU, good nutrition!), I have the most confidence I've ever had in my whole life, and I'm just generally happy (though to be fair, those last two points are only partly due to my physical changes--I've also been making TONS of mental and emotional changes as well in this last year).

This is how I look currently:

recent1.jpg
recent2.jpg
recent3.jpg
recent4.jpg

And for the record, I am NOT on a "diet": I have made a lifestyle change, which I believe is the only way to lose weight and keep it off. Sometimes there are plateaus, sometimes I have to kick my a** out of bed to go work out, and sometimes I really just want to eat several pounds of the most terrible fast food ever (well, not too often anymore...), but I just do what I gotta do. When I inevitably "fail" or have a bad day, I forgive myself and move on: life is TOO short to get caught up in going over calories, or being frustrated with the scale. Newsflash: no one gives a damn about it but you, so stop giving a damn and just do something about it. Give yourself a break.

I'm in this for life, so if you would like to support and be supported by me, send me a FR--I don't discriminate (unless you're an idiot--I will absolutely be forced to judge you for that. Just keepin' it real...)! Also, I like to laugh and have fun, so let's amooze each other!

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Awwwwww YOU"RE BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I wondered what you looked like! you can Really tell in your face and neck! GREAT JOB !!!! This really inspires me to keep going!
  • fbandit14
    fbandit14 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Simply ASTSONISHING!! Just beautiful! Thanks for ths post: I am 5.9 and a half, so I hear you!!!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous! :)
  • Donnaovercomer
    Donnaovercomer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great job, your look awesome & your words are inspiring!!!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    BOOM! hell yeah, bish!
  • SuperCork
    Options
    If you check out my blog, you can see all of the before pics in full:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SuperCork/view/one-year-on-mfp-405693
  • SuperCork
    Options
    BOOM! hell yeah, bish!

You so crazay!! Haha I love it!
  • sueblue77
    sueblue77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Way to go, lady! You look amazing, and are an inspiration.
  • cole_carter
    cole_carter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Good Job ... Congratulations!
  • lmustoe
    lmustoe Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! You look amazing! You give me hope to get back down to my perferred weight! Keep up the lifestyle!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    You look great!! Keep up the great work!
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Girl!!! You look fantastic!! :drinker:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Love it. You are doing a great job.

And I won't ask what was the deal with the brown thingy
  • eedossa
    eedossa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You look like a completely different person! You are both amazing and inspiring! Thank you for sharing your journey!
  • fishfish3
    fishfish3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Looking great! :)
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Wow! *wolf whistle*

What a difference!!! You look gorgeous! Congrats!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    *applauds wildly*

I love that black and white dress on you! I love it. You look so tall and slim, legs that go on forever.
  • TeaselK
    TeaselK Posts: 2
    Options
    You look gorgeous - well done you. Well written too - really inspiring. :-)
    :bigsmile:
  • Rebel2267
    Options
    You are not smiling in any of your newer photos?! With that kind of success, you should be!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    One totally hottie there - WTG girl!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!