couch to 5k

Timothy2000
Timothy2000 Posts: 108
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I am in my second week running and doing great, I know the program says to do it every other day, but I am finding it hard to burn all the calories I need to burn with just alternating days, I need a good weight lifting routine what I am doing now I am not feeling like I am putting enough into it, I only lift on average for like 10 to 15 minutes that also includes situps, crunches and other ab workouts I do not feel like I am challenging by body enough even though I can feel the burn, but it feels like I could do more.

Replies

• emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Cross training is a good way to get in those other workouts. I take spinning classes and I do the Masters swim at my YMCA The weights are good and can be added to some of your other training days. I take Fridays off completely. That is my rest day. Saturdays is my long run (14 miles this week) On Sundays if the weather is nice I like to go for a bike ride. Hope that helps.
  • I have Sundays as my rest day and I run Mon, Wed, and Friday. On Tue, Thurs, and Sat I lift, but when I do lift I just don't feel like I am doing enough I am a beginner so I don't know I wan't to maximize my workout to burn the most fat, but then again maybe I should just work on form and just doing it for now since its only my first week.
  • ylin
    ylin Posts: 16
    After speaking with a personal trainer, I was told that you should do cardio as often as possible. You should alternate strength training with different muscles of the body (upper body one day, lower body the next) and you can actually add strength training on top of cardio.

For example, you can run 5-6 days of the week and for strength training, you can alternate upper and lower body training. I was doing minimal strength training for fear of bulking up, but was told that I should always challenge myself.

Don't forget your stretches to avoid injury and good luck!
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    You could do other cardio on diff days, like the stairclimber or elliptical ... noo ?

I subscribe to women's health mag, they usually give me really fresh ideas on new strength training routines, a lot you can do at home too :) Just take no - little rest inbetween sets, and you'll burn tons o cals
  • maybe next week I will start running everyday and see how I feel after that. Thanks for the advice guys
This discussion has been closed.