vegetarian for a week

Options
So starting tomorrow i plan on trying to give up meet for 7 days to see if i can last that long. I'm looking for ideas on what to eat, what are some of your favorite meatless foods?

Replies

• mutto70
    mutto70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lentils are a great source of protein and a huge part of a vegetarian diet. Also, a good source of non-animal protein are almonds, most nuts really. I don't know if you will be eating eggs but there are great recipes using eggs that are delicious and another great source of protein. Good luck!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If you are going lacto-ovo eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, and cheese (not too much) are great. I eat a lot of beans and lentils, nuts, and avocado. Quinoa is also really great. I don't eat a lot of soy, but every two or three weeks I cook up a block of tofu or tempeh (right now I'm trying more tempeh.) Make sure you are eating a good variety of vegetables and other foods to get balanced nutrition. If you are only doing this for a week you shouldn't have a problem.
  • keina629
    keina629 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Chick peas, spinach and pumpkin! (not necessarily together)
    Have a look at vegetarian recipes at http://foodgawker.com/
  • misao1994
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 5 years. It's easy peasy! I eat LOTS of tofu and tempeh. I like to marinade either for 10-15 minutes then put it on the stove until the sugar in the sauce starts to brown. Serve with veggies and brown rice! Delicious. Or you can marinade tempeh in BBQ sauce, put it on the stove just like the above, then serve it on a sandwich with lettuce, lite mayo and whatever for a BBQ sandwich. I also really like sautéing tofu pieces, veggies and brown rice(cooked) in taco seasoning, tomato sauce and some spices then put in a whole tortilla to make a burrito! Or you could definitely do tacos or eat plain. There is endless possibilities!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Refried beans, baked tofu (season it before your bake it), chick pea marinara (thick chopped chick peas, onions and peppers sauteed, add tomatoes basil, seasoning or a marinara sauce and serve over spaghetti squash or prepared polenta)
    any morning star products, Baked potato with cottage cheese and beans only or vegetarian chili.... so many options! Daughter is vegetarian and I don't eat meat at every meal or even every day.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Baked sweet potato with cottage cheese.
    Bean chilli with quinoa or brown rice.
    Nut cutlets with lots of veggies.
  • phdcharlie
    Options
    My go-to protein sources are MorningStar fake sausages, eggs, Boca meatless burgers, tofu, nonfat milk, sometimes protein powder, and (regrettably) cheese.
  • sweet_basil
    Options
    Squash sauteed with olive oil, oregano, paprika and chopped garlic with a side of brown rice is one of my favorite veggie dishes.

Also, spinach and tomato (pr mushrooms) with a little bit of mozzarella cheese melted in a tortilla (low fat, or a flat bread) makes an interesting quesadilla.