Can running be fun?

Options
2»

Replies

• superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I've got a quick question I would like to ask the audience.

I used to mountain bike a LOT, which included speed, risk, and quick thinking. It really got my adrenaline pumping and was the only activity I could enjoy in my youth, that I had easy access to. A couple of years ago, I injured my knees, which forced me to stop (temporarily, but I got rid of my bikes in that period of time) and has gotten me to the point that I'm at now.

I'm picking up running as a replacement, but I can see myself losing interest down the road because, frankly, it's bland when compared to what i'm used to. I also don't think I would enjoy listening to music while running. It's too much of a distraction. I am looking into taking up cross-country running, but until I get a car (January), it will be too much of a hassle for me to hit the trails.

So, how do you make running enjoyable?

You said you wanted to run because you were enjoying it... why not go back to mountain biking if your not? Or get on a bus just out the city and get some more country air. If youve not tried running with music, you ought to as you will not know if you find it too much of a distratction until youve tried it. I sometimes run with music, sometimes dont, depending where I'm running and the mood I'm in. But I find running enjoyable just because I do - I love how my body feels when I'm running and generally just the whole experience. Maybe once you can build up some more speed you'll enjoy it more as you said you like going fast and I noticed you were logging runs as "walking, 4mph".. Thats my standard walking speed so maybe once you can work in that you'll find it more enjoyable :D.

Before you commit yourself to cross country running, you really ought to try just get some good miles in yourself as if your doubting your enjoyment of it now you might doubt it even more after 10 mile run.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I would be getting into mountain biking, except I don't have a bike right now and I don't have the $1500 to fork out into a new bike. It sucks, because whenever I meet someone who is into cycling, we get talking about it and it makes me want to ride. Unfortunately, all I can do is go

fuuuu-rage-guy.png
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    But you said you were debating about buying a motorcycle - if you can afford that surely you can afford a bike? Also, look online, you'll be able to get one cheaper than that.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For me, the fun does not start until I've gone past 3 miles. When I was starting out, it was hard to stay with it since my runs were really short. I run completely barefoot. My first run was 1/8 mile and built up from there. I don't listen to music just my thoughts. First three miles it is this sucks I should turn around. Then the endorphins kick in and life is good. Stay with it and you might have a similar experience as the miles and time build.
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    once you start to find a pace that you can run for long distances without it killing your body, it actually starts to feel really good.

find destinations to jog to

change up the run with some stretching and other exercises.

also, have you tried getting a road bike? not as hard on the knees.