Snacking?

Options
Does anybody have any ti[s on how to stop snacking or can you share what you do to stop? I realize it may not work for everyone, but I'm desperate! I gained 8 pounds about 2 weeks ago and still have not lost it. I think it'a because I have been getting up earlier and I tend to eat more since there's more time in the day.It's been HORRIBLE lately. I would really like to lose the eight pounds by the time my freshman year of college starts in a few weeks. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Make yourself drink a full, 8oz glass of water when you get a craving for a snack. Give it 5 minutes. It helps me every time.

Also, try snacking on things like raw almonds, celery sticks with low fat dressing, string cheese, whole wheat crackers, fruit etc...
  • kaylynn1993
    Options
    thanks, girl. I will do it. I actually found that I haven't been drinking much. It could partially be the issue of the weight gain and snacking.
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i am a chronic snacker, especially later at night, so to compensate, i don't really eat meals. oatmeal for breakfast with some fruit mixed in. carrots and dressing, salads, fresh fruit, etc. If my family is having a big dinneri will eat small portions whatever's being had, yada yada yada.
  • jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I had a huge nighttime snacking problem. The single thing that has helped me more than any other thing is weighing myself every a.m. NO MATTER WHAT. Because that scale moving in the right direction is such a powerful motivator, it's been helping me tremendously to keep snacking in check and plan plan plan. Best of luck in your efforts!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Stop snacking? I encourage it actually.

It's WHAT you're snacking on that makes snacking a problem.

I like doing the small meals throughout the day, because I'm never so hungry I feel like pigging out.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think we need two snaks a day, I like fruit like Apple and water or cheese and crackers.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Distract yourself. When you feel the urge to snack, get outside and do something, or organize part of your house, go stroll shops, etc. If you take your mind off snacking the urge will pass.

But if you are truly hungry, then eat! But eat something low in calories and healthy and filling, whole grains, protein, smidge of fat, etc.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Are you craving food? Are you eating all the calories assigned to you? If not, then you're body is sending you a message. You should try to eat as close to the actual number assigned. I spread it out over five meals and it really helps me not feel hungry.
  • violetta88
    violetta88 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think you need to look at why you're snacking - is it boredom, emotional eating, genuine hunger? But here are some generaly tips that helped me:

1. As someone already said, water. As much as you can handle :)

2. Plan your snacks around your day. Have you seen Supernanny when she puts the kids daily snacks in a jar so they don't eat junk? I do something like that - pick some healthy snacks for tomorrow, log them on MFP to see if they fit into my calorie goal, then stash them in my bag.

3. If you're bored, find something to distract you where you can't eat - go for a walk, call a friend, clean your bathroom, etc.

4. If you're craving something, set a timer on your phone or the oven for 15 minutes. Tell yourself if you still want it when the timer goes off, you can have it. Odds are after 15 mins you'll be able to resist.

5. This sounds a little odd, so I apologise, but it's really, really worked for me. Parcel up all your snack foods at home. For me, my trigger food is biscuits. If I have one, I will eat the whole packet. Seriously. So I started opening a packet the minute I bought it and wrapping little parcels of two biscuits in loads of cling film. It is weird, but it works - something about feeling like I've "finished the packet" stops me from getting another one. You can do it with most things - wrap your chocolate in squares, put your crisps in freezer bags ... etc. etc.

6. If you want a snack, make yourself get up, put the food on a plate and sit at a table with no distractions. Most of my snacking occurs when I'm "mindlessly eating" - i.e. at my desk at work or in front of the TV. Sitting down properly will make you focus on what you're eating.

Hope one or two of these work for you! Best of luck!
  • simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options

5. This sounds a little odd, so I apologise, but it's really, really worked for me. Parcel up all your snack foods at home. For me, my trigger food is biscuits. If I have one, I will eat the whole packet. Seriously. So I started opening a packet the minute I bought it and wrapping little parcels of two biscuits in loads of cling film. It is weird, but it works - something about feeling like I've "finished the packet" stops me from getting another one. You can do it with most things - wrap your chocolate in squares, put your crisps in freezer bags ... etc. etc.

What a great idea.
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth! Nobody likes eating after that, always works for me :)