The slower the better, right?

Options
Just curious to hear other people's experiences with weight loss. 2 years go I was able to drop 15 pounds very quickly but putting myself on such a restrictive diet (1,100-1,200 calories a day...big mistake) and minimal to no excercise. Of course once I fell back into my old ways, I gained it all back as quickly as I lost it.

Right now I'm eating 1600 calories a day and working out for 45 minutes, burning 500-600 calories in a single workout (and I eat back my calories so I stay at 1600).

Overall, is this healthy? I want to get it right this time and lose weight realistically and slowly...while sometimes I find myself getting frustrated how long it's taking...I know in the end with my current habits I can keep the weight off. Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• thin4life67
    thin4life67 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race! Remember although it may seem like it, we didn't gain weight over night. Unfortunately it is harder to lose than it is to gain. To expect large losses every week is setting yourself up for failure. Just my opinion. Good luck to you!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I dropped fast at first. 30 lbs in one week. I was almost 500 when I started. As others would say water weight, but in my case it was soda weight. I never drank water before I started losing weight. After that it has slowed down. I averaged 2-3 a week for a good few months. About 1½ years into this it has slowed down more and more. I probably lose 4-6 a month now. I am patient though. Weight loss, though it's nice, isn't my main motivation. Staying healthy and active is.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing it in a very healthy way. Slow loss is frustrating, but especially for those with not much to lose (looking at your ticker, you have about 14 lb to go?) it really is best. I have about the same amount to go as you now. I hate that I'm only losing about 0.5 lb a week now, but really, that's a good amount for my weight now.
    I know in the end with my current habits I can keep the weight off.

This, to me, is key. Personally, I'd happily add another year onto the weight-loss process if it meant the difference between keeping it off or not. Not feeling like I'm "on a diet" and knowing that, as long as I keep an eye on things, I can keep this lifestyle up indefinitely just makes me so confident about maintaining the loss.
  • Monnietron
    Monnietron Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. It's hard to hear, I know, because it's hard for me. All I can say is I might only be losing about a pound a week, but the scale is going in the right direction =)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have been on this journey for 37 months now and have lost 311 lbs. which is an average weight loss of 2 lbs. a week.... Slow and steady is the very best way to sustain long term weight loss...... Best of Luck...