working out too much?

Options
So I have been working about alot over the last couple of weeks. Usually 45 mins of cardio( I push myself hard for those 45 mins) and then I will do some streght training. I drink a whey protein shake after my work out.
On Monday i worked out hard and did lunges (alot of them).
On tuesday I worked out hard ( my hamstrings hurt a little, from all the lunges on mon, but i still ran and did the eliptical, and a little strength training.
Today I got to the gym and knew for sure I wasnt going to work my hamstrings out too much because they hurt bad. So i did the eliptical for 40 mins on level med./(planned on doing 60 min) But I felt physically exhausted.
Am I working out too much? Should I have just pushed myself? I mean i know I shouldnt over do it way too much. Could this prevent me from losing fat?
Im just fustrated because I have been working of alot, and even though i feel better emotionally, I feel like my body is getting larger, not more toned.:explode: ugh!

Replies

• nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    well I'm no expert, but my bf is a gym rat. lol. He's always told me to burn more fat do more cardio and only 2 or 3 x strength training a week. also if u want to get toned use light weights and more reps.
    also never workout the same body party 2 days in a row.

hope that helps
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Do you schedule rest days?
    You don't have to have COMPLETE rest days every other day but definitely schedule one day a week where you don't work out at all. A few times a week find alternatives like yoga, pilates or dance classes to stretch and use different parts of the body for an over-all body tone.

Working out a lot strains the muscles and weakens them. The strength comes from the body healing and rebuilding the muscle.

Also, eat bananas! They really help!

Good Luck! :glasses:
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You should be fine, but do schedule rests. Also, you should be pushing yourself hard when you work out, but don't overwork yourself. Listen to your body and it it says to take a break, then take a break. :happy:
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You should be fine, but do schedule rests. Also, you should be pushing yourself hard when you work out, but don't overwork yourself. Listen to your body and it it says to take a break, then take a break. :happy:
    good idea. I dont think I listen to my body very much. Im always telling it what to do. But never listening. No wonder its rebeling. Relationships like this always fail.:tongue:
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    good idea. I dont think I listen to my body very much. Im always telling it what to do. But never listening. No wonder its rebeling. Relationships like this always fail.:tongue:

Hahah, that's funny, I do the same thing! :smokin: Some times I take myself too far and I have to sit back and realized that I NEED a break!! Our bodies need the time to recover, ya know, but if I don't work out, I feel lazy :frown: You're right ,this relationship is not working out...:grumble: