Should I take a multivitamin?

Options
I've noticed in my low carb diet tracking on MFP that I am sometimes short in the vitamin department. Especially iron.
Should I take a supplement ? Any suggestions?

Thanks for the insight.

Replies

• ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Men should not take iron unless told to by a doctor. Excessive iron can cause premature aging and DNA mutation/cancer. The vast majority of men (99.9%) will get more than enough iron without trying. In general, men should ignore the iron tracker on MFP.

Also, the best men's multivitamins will contain zero iron.
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Yes you should take a multi vitamin!! Its a great base for good health.. I recommend Mega Foods - they have a specific multi for men. The product is made all from foods so your body recognizes it, and absorbs it up to 10x better than some of your regular vitamin brands.

Hope that helps!
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    And I agree with the comment above, talk to your doctor before supplementing with iron! (Unless you do not eat red meats or egg yolks, which are the best absorbed forms of iron. plants have iron, but it isn't as easily absorbed)
  • letshavebacon
    letshavebacon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you Shane for the info. I was planning to go to CVS and start looking for an iron supplement. I will ignore the iron tracker. Recently a friend gave his regular donation of blood at the blood bank, they told him he had an iron deficiency and refused her blood for a few weeks. I haven't called her yet to find out what they wanted her to eat/take to help raise the iron levels. But, I will ignore the data, Thanks Again.