Do you keep long hair as you lose weight?

Options
Meraid
Meraid Posts: 148 Member
So I have pretty long, really thick curly hair. It's a bit wavy since it's so long. If you have long hair, do you think long hair makes you look bigger? Would you cut it off? Or do you want to keep it when you get closer to your goal weight? Do you think short hair compliments the thinner look?
I've kind of gotten tired of the maintenance of long hair and contemplated cutting it as I get closer to my goal weight. It makes working out annoying, showers long... yeah those two are bigger than they seem :P Of course I'll be donating it. It's grad year though and I was thinking long hair would look good for that. I dunno! So what would YOU do/ are you doing?

Replies

• laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My hair before I got it cut...

555902_4207956317592_998976561_n.jpg

My hair after I got it cut...

545142_4225819884170_672407664_n.jpg

After almost 50 lbs I decided that working out everyday and having to deal with my hair flopping out of a ponytail every 5 minutes was unacceptable. I like it short.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm growing mine out. But I've already had short hair for 4 years so it's a change for me.

I say do what you want with your hair, regardless of weight! You have the face to pull off any haircut, believe me :)
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm growing mine out. But I've already had short hair for 4 years so it's a change for me.

I say do what you want with your hair, regardless of weight! You have the face to pull off any haircut, believe me :)

^^This for me. For the first time in.... over 10 years i'm growing my hair long as i lose weight. But wear your hair how it feels best for you. I loved short hair for a long long time.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    my hair is more than halfway down my back, I'm 5"6' and I weigh 120lbs. I think short hair would look awful on me but it has nothing to do with my weight, more the shape of my face.
  • joannasaurusrex
    Options
    I think you should have it however makes you feel good! When I was at my fattest, I didn't really like myself and didn't really pay much attention to stuff like having a decent haircut etc. But now that I'm thinner and feel much better about myself, the rest of me matters more too. I definitely feel my best when I've just had it cut into a good style :)

I don't think length matters much in regard to weight. I think hair looks longer, the thinner you are! I have a 200+lb flatmate and I always think she has medium length hair, but I realised the other day it's probably quite long - it just looks shorter because it has a bigger face/neck/shoulders/back to fall over. (This is a bit of a strange thought, I realise, clearly had too much time on my hands).

If I were you I'd just get it cut/styled how you love it the most :) then when you hit your goal weight you will feel SUPER FIERCE!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I don't think long or short hair affects how thin you look. I think if the shape of the style suits the shape of your face, you're golden.

I'm going to be getting a large chunk cut off in the fall, because I've been growing it out to donate. But it really has nothing to do with my weightloss journey.
  • _EmmaStrong_
    _EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I seriously do not see how the lenght of you hair can have any effect on whether you look fat or not! I have long hair and plan to keep it long until I'm 85 or older!! I have never changed the color of my hair, however. I might go more blonde or maybe even red or ginger, some day, when I feel more daring!!
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I find short hair actually makes me look bigger but that has more to do with the shape of my face than anything. It is a pain to put up for taekwondo class but I'm used to it.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I want to cut my hair but waiting till its long enough to donate it to an organization for childhood cancer. I only have a couple inches to go and figured I'd help someone else instead of throwing it out. I hate the feeling a having a horse tail while running!
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I kinda do whatever I want with my hair. I had it really long a few months ago, it was longer than boob length and one day I decided to cut off about 8 or 9 inches. It was so much easier to take care of! It's to my collar bones now and I still love the length. I love my hair long because I can do so much with it, but it takes a lot of time and I don't like the hassle.
  • Meraid
    Meraid Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think since I've had long hair most my life (I donated it as a kid and want to do so again before I dye it again) I feel that with long hair I look bigger because it had a little more volume and that it adds more to me. Like I'm hiding behind this curtain of hair. Y'know? But ifI cut it while I'm still fat, I'm going to look like I have a small head and a big body. I want to experiment as I slim down so that I have more confidence all around!
  • leslielrd12
    leslielrd12 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I find short hair actually makes me look bigger but that has more to do with the shape of my face than anything. It is a pain to put up for taekwondo class but I'm used to it.

Agreed. Longer hair gives me the appearance of a narrower face. When I use to cut it short, my face was much rounder. But that's just me. Your face shape make be very flattering with short hair. I would talk to a professional. I'm one of these people that wouldn't cut my own hair to save my life lol
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I chopped mine off after probably 20 lbs lost.

Mainly because I home dyed it THEN permed it. So it was long overdue. Plus I LOVE it being shoulder length. I get it trimmed every 2-3 months and a partial highlight done. So much more fun. And working out is much easier. This summer was also very pleasant without sweaty hair on my back.
  • Afterblue
    Afterblue Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I have gorgeous hair. It is black, shiny, pantene commercial worthy. I am just waiting for the rest of my body to catch up to its awesomeness.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I don't think long or short hair affects how thin you look. I think if the shape of the style suits the shape of your face, you're golden.

^^This
    I have always had medium length hair. Looked on line for face shapes and hair cuts and found this short cut. I did the short cut to get rid of died hair wanted to go natural, because I was tired of dying it every 2 weeks. My husban loved the cut and asked me to keep it short. Cutting my hair off and changing the color alowed my mind to finally take in the weight loss. Found myself looking in the mirror a lot and liking what I saw. Lost 35 pounds total and I'm on the high side of normal weight.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have long hair down to my butt almost. Thick, long, dark, and curly. Yes, it can be really annoying and get in the way during workouts at times but I would NEVER cut it. I adore my hair and it has taken a long time to grow it out.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Short hair makes my face look bigger, so I've always kept my hair long no matter how much I weigh.
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had mine longer (in the profile) and highlighted. I cut it all off and it is darker and shoulder length, much easier now. The longer hair kept getting in the way and my boyfriend does not care what I do with it, as long as I don't shave it all over (which to tease him, I pretended I was going to do).
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i've never seen the correlation between body weight and hair length. i really think it depends on the shape of one's face and still in most cases medium or long works well with just about everybody.

i had my hair short and medium for as long as i can remember, then about 5 years ago after my last big hair cut i decided to just let it grow and now it's just down to my butt and even though it's a little maintenance, i don't feel like i have to style it to make it look good and my hair is THICK so i keep it layered so that brushing out tangles isn't so bad i have to ask hubby for help.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Short hair is hard to pull off. And usually long hair makes you look thinner.

I personally want my hair very long. I want mermaid hair :D