Someone stop me!!

Options
I just ate lunch, had one of those Lean Cuisine Pizza things. I got that instead of something lower in calories thinking it'd fill me up... i also got an orange juice because I'm starting to get sick again... (:explode: ), but I'm still hungry. Or maybe I just think I am. I can't decide. But either way I am SO tempted to run to the vending machine right now and just pig out. I've been so bad with my food intake recently and I'm trying to hard to change it. It's times like these that break me!

Anyway, I just wanted to vent a little and distract myself from the Butterfinger that's calling my name all the way from the cafeteria.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• ToTheLove
    Options
    I just ate lunch, had one of those Lean Cuisine Pizza things. I got that instead of something lower in calories thinking it'd fill me up... i also got an orange juice because I'm starting to get sick again... (:explode: ), but I'm still hungry. Or maybe I just think I am. I can't decide. But either way I am SO tempted to run to the vending machine right now and just pig out. I've been so bad with my food intake recently and I'm trying to hard to change it. It's times like these that break me!

Anyway, I just wanted to vent a little and distract myself from the Butterfinger that's calling my name all the way from the cafeteria.

Thanks guys!
  • Margy82
    Options
    I am always hungry after eating, doesn't matter how slow I eat, so what I do is drink a big glass of water and have a no calorie/ sugar free piece of gum or one of these Baskin Robbins hard candies that taste like Mint chocolate ship ice cream. By the time I am done with either of those. I am no longer hungry and the best part is that I don' t feel guilty for eating it!!
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Your brain takes about twenty minutes to register it is full, also lean cuisine pizzas are a bit higher in carbs you might be suffering a bit of a sugar spike. Drink a glass of water and go for a walk. How to get past a hyper and then a hypo sugar spike and drop....it's hard to repair it, but you need something to balance out the sugar now....ooooo vending machines are not helpful but nuts might be in there and they will help, high in cals but that may be all you have right now....can you think of other protein sources at your work, or something with fiber...the orange is great, do you have an apple too? Better than eating a choco bar that will just give you another spike and then you are toast for the day craving simple sugars.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Try to think about something else good. imagine yourself on a beach, go drink water. Stay away from that calorie loaded unhealthy nightmare and you will be proud later. next time try to bring a bg of cut up veggies so if this happens you have a go to GOOD LUCK
  • Erica92627
    Options
    I avoided the vending machine yesterday.. You know what stopped me, they increased the prices of some of the items in there by ten cents. I'm not paying 90 cents for a small bag of chips that I can get in the store for less. I also didn't have loose change on me. I do not borrow money so that was a plus. :laugh:
  • becca51
    Options
    Fiber and protein take your body the longest to digest, hence making you feel fuller longer. Processed foods (specifically enriched white bread that is found in your pizza and many many other snacks) is easily broken down, adds hardly any nourishment, and doesn't keep you satisfied.

My advice is eat nuts (without oils) or even a high fiber bar. It took me awhile to grasp the concept of feeling fuller off smaller amounts of food (for instance, a bowl of cheerios for 150 calories looked like more food than 3oz of chicken breast--but the chicken breast would stick with me longer).

Another example is .. I will eat 300 calories worth of cheerios for breakfast and be hungry 3 hours later ... however, if I ate 300 calories of instant oatmeal, I wouldnt feel hungry for 4 or 5 hours.

Also, studies have shown that your body .. especially if your eating times are fixed because of work schedules ... will learn to expect food at roughly the same time everyday. So, even if you had a snack at 11am that you normally dont eat ... you'll probably still feel hunger pangs at your normal lunch time.

And sometime you just need to tell yourself ... I've eaten, I should be fine.
  • ToTheLove
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice... You guys have so much knowledge about what different foods do to your body. I understand it all, it's just an inner struggle. Starchy pastas and breads and potatos have been the BASE of my diet all my life. It's what I grew up with. What I think ALOT of people grew up with. Easy hot dishes, spaghetti, mashed potatos, pizza... It's really really hard to convince myself that there ARE other foods out there besides those ones. New foods and ideas scare me! The old foods are so comforting. First of all because they're easy and second because I already KNOW I like them! I try to find recipes for healthy meals that aren't COMPLETELY outside my norm of eating to try to slowly introduce myself to new foods, but it's hard. Everything is made with a bunch of spices I've never heard before and mixes cooked fruit with things like chicking breast or something (yuck..) Nothing sound appealing to me. I've got a George Foreman grill and it's great. I just plop my boneless, skinless chicken breast on there, throw on some garlic and salt and pepper and watch it cook And it always tastes good. But I can't eat that every day.. and I don't know of anything to eat with it! I know it sound so ignorant... I guess I'm just really set in my eating ways. I'm scared I'll never figure all this out and I'll just continue on this way of eating small portions of the stuff I used to eat.. loose a little weight, and then gain it all back because I just start eating normal portions again!

I know this got really long, but food is what i REALLY struggle with. I LOVE FOOD. I can workout everyday with no problems about it... Except for when I get down on myself because of the way I eat. It's like... "Why bother... I just ate way more crap that I could ever burn" not to mention the lack of energy from eating all those "bad" carbs.

I guess this is really a vent.. and me kind of talking myself through why I eat the way I do. I guess the next step is to just... change it. Right? Did any of you have problems with this? If you did, any advice on how you got over it would be great.

Thanks a million. You guys are GREAT. :flowerforyou:
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    Drinking lots of water and always having my water bottle with me, keeps me from feeling hungry all the time.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    I had a frozen meal or two almost every day when I was on the 1200 calorie crunch, but slowly I started getting comfortable counting calories and taking the time to calculate my own recipes, I started to slowly choose different foods that were lighter in calories bacause I learned I could eat more of them, I also planned ahead for the day so I never got stuck with that terrible hunger ever, I planned to get hungry when I shouldn't and always had the lesser of evil snacks all of the time beside me. It took time and only now two months of being on maintenance I am starting to try other peoples recipes and looking up recipes that sound good, but you're right...it takes time and at the beginning it's hard enough just trying to keep track of calories never mind calculating and trying out new recipes. Frozen dinners are not a bad filler for the day, just try adding in some better proteins and fiber while you are doing it. You are doing great, you will overcome small things everyday...like the vending machine and you will come to us and we want you too BRAG, and you will fall off somedays too and we want you to come on and vent.....:laugh: :laugh:
  • becca51
    Options
    Right now I'm studying for my nutrition degree and everything we've been learning points back to this-- "stick as close to nature as possible". Thats it.

Everything, everything that isnt fresh is processed and most anything processed requires the removal of nutrients (to slow the food from going bad) OR has things such as saturated fat put in them to help keep them fresh longer.

The best foods for you tend to be on the outer-rim of the supermarket. Fresh breads (whole wheat), fruits, veggies, meat, etc. Anything in the center is processed.

Regardless of if the frozen meal is a pizza or kashi ... its not as healthy as fresh food and has more calories than the same 'fresher" portions because of the additives.

However, its not realistic to always be able to eat fresh .. especially when at work. Just attempt to plan ahead. Frozen veggies and fruits (w/o sugar) are equally nutritious.