Worried about excess skin

Options
Hi, I started myfitnesspal today as I have 5 stone to lose. I am 34 years old and I am really worrying about being left with

excess

skin, any advice on the types of exercise I should be doing to minimise this.

Has anyone lost 5 stone and totally toned up, is it possible?

Kay:smile:

Replies

• Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    Dont worry about it, do a little weight training and it will tighten up :) - slow gradual loss wont really leave flappy stuff, i did find that weights helped considerably to fight the "flab, loose skin"

ive got some lovely strechmarks - "i am a tiger and i have earnt my stripes"
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Nothing will help the skin you have. Genetic play a big role. Lose slowly, do strength training to have muscles under the skin. Drink plenty of water, using a nice lotion.

I have load of extra skin but if I have to choose between being fat or healthy with extra skin, I will take the extra skin. It is a lot easier to hide extra skin.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    While I haven't lost a ton of weight to dispell a for sure way to avoid this. I do know one solid way to make sure you stay as tight as possible when you lose all that fat and that is losing weight slow and steady.
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of these folks. I've been at this for a little over 2 years. I've lost 108.8 pounds, so far, I'm 33 and I have no excess skin, Why? You may be asking yourself? 2 things. 1 I've been losing it slowly. and 2. Since the beginning, I've been strength training 4 times a week and while I still have 71.2 pounds to go, and I still have a ton of fat on my body, I have no excess skin and I am stronger and stronger everyday. Do some squats and if you are not a gym person, grab some Kettle bells or some weights. It will help you immensely.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Yes, I'm aiming for lots of strength training this time and losing at a realistic weight, along with moisturising. But I'm bound to have lots of skin, I have loads and loads of stretch marks, a road map on my stomach really! But being healthy and slim will far outweigh the downsides of extra skin!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I've had some experience with this and with folks I've trained, you may have some even with steady loss and exercise, but if you do, continue the moisturizer w Vitamin E and it will adjust over a period of time, how long really depends on how much. But I can tell you from experience its a better problem to have than the alternative. So ruck up and hti the trail, success is right there at the top o the hill.
  • kayloublack
    kayloublack Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...You are right..loose skin is better than carrying around all the extra weight..I will just take the steady road and aim to lose 1lb a week, more exercise which I do enjoy and buy myself a boat load of cream to slather on ha ha.

What a great site, really feel like I can do this for the first time in my life. I WILL LOSE WEIGHT.
    :flowerforyou:
  • TraceAT
    TraceAT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ditto, I too have at least 5 stone to lose. I'm also concerned that I maybe will be left with loose skin.

I have my goal set for a year, losing 1lb a week. Here's hoping :flowerforyou:
  • snapdoodle1
    Options
    i like this site to.been here a week..can someone tell me how to start strength training.thanks
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    honestly- keep drinking losts of water, and moisterize your skin. You will be fine.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I'm crapping my pants about this.
    I can't afford surgery and really don't want to wait through the public system.
    I'm 29 and I have really really messed up my body from gaining/losing rapidly in the past.

Oh well, I can lose a little and then apply for public and just wait. I can always tuck it in my pants :laugh:
  • NatsukoG
    NatsukoG Posts: 104
    Options
    I've lost 5 stone and am age 35 so quite similar to you. The only place I seem to have problem skin is the tricep area but I'm hoping that with continuing strength work the muscle will pull it in. Even then, it's not really that bad and my arms look 100 times better than they did 5 stone ago.

Good that you are losing the weight at this age rather than leaving it later in life when your skin might not be so forgiving.

Best of luck with it all x
  • kayloublack
    Options
    wow well done for losing the 5stone, and only having worries about the skin around your triceps. This has made me a lot happier. Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • kayloublack
    Options
    honestly- keep drinking losts of water, and moisterize your skin. You will be fine.

Thanks I will do that :flowerforyou:
  • kayloublack
    Options
    Ditto, I too have at least 5 stone to lose. I'm also concerned that I maybe will be left with loose skin.

I have my goal set for a year, losing 1lb a week. Here's hoping :flowerforyou:

Yeah I will be happy to lose a pound a week good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • kayloublack
    Options
    Dont worry about it, do a little weight training and it will tighten up :) - slow gradual loss wont really leave flappy stuff, i did find that weights helped considerably to fight the "flab, loose skin"

I am loving the quote "I am a tiger and I earnt my stripes" :flowerforyou:
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options

I am loving the quote "I am a tiger and I earnt my stripes" :flowerforyou:

i do love my inspirational and motivational quotes, when i hear something new i jot them down and share :) it all helps.
  • MrsCCWoods
    MrsCCWoods Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I agree i was talking about this yesterday that i was worried about excess skin do to the fact of trying to loose 201 pounds

25438163.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    hey kaylou
    i too have just over 5 stone to lose and am veeeery worried about loose skin. I have been on steroids, high doses, on and off for years and this has already damaged the dermis layer of my skin and left me with stretch marks covering my thighs, arms, belly, lower back, chest. Im worried they will get even worse as the weight comes off :( its pretty miserable!
    This is what Im doing to try and help minimise the loose skin (I can already pinch about a cm of very thin skin on my chest and thighs)
    1. Drink plenty water
    2. Bio oil on stretch marks
    3. Nivea firming moistursiser, pretty much everywhere
    4. losing weight slowly, aiming for 1.5lb per week
    5. Strength training (weights and resistance exercises) interspersed with all the cardio
    6. Wishing very hard!!!
    7. Remembering that even if I get the dreaded loose skin, i will look better in clothes than before, and no worse naked than before!

Chin up, keep going, good luck :)
  • kayloublack
    Options
    hey kaylou
    i too have just over 5 stone to lose and am veeeery worried about loose skin. I have been on steroids, high doses, on and off for years and this has already damaged the dermis layer of my skin and left me with stretch marks covering my thighs, arms, belly, lower back, chest. Im worried they will get even worse as the weight comes off :( its pretty miserable!
    This is what Im doing to try and help minimise the loose skin (I can already pinch about a cm of very thin skin on my chest and thighs)
    1. Drink plenty water
    2. Bio oil on stretch marks
    3. Nivea firming moistursiser, pretty much everywhere
    4. losing weight slowly, aiming for 1.5lb per week
    5. Strength training (weights and resistance exercises) interspersed with all the cardio
    6. Wishing very hard!!!
    7. Remembering that even if I get the dreaded loose skin, i will look better in clothes than before, and no worse naked than before!

Chin up, keep going, good luck :)

Good luck to you also, and thanks for the tips.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!