Recipe Calculator Problem

Options
I love that there are so many resources on the Internet to help calculate calories, but I am frustrated that when I enter the exact same recipe on different sites, I get different results. Today my dinner had a 100 calorie difference. I usually just choose the higher amount. But does anyone know why there would be such a difference and how you can even trust that any of them are accurate?

I guess I'm the same lady that wants the elliptical at the gym to give me the exact calories burned. :laugh: Maybe I'm asking too much. But I thought maybe others had some insight.

Thanks.
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I once saw a "100 Calorie" smoothie on one site , punched it into another recipe calculator and it spit out 320! what the...?
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    There's an old saying: "A man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with 2 watches is never sure" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Solution: Don't look at more than one watch.
  • berlin80210
    berlin80210 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just found and started using http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/ because, like many, I wanted an easy way to calculate the nutrition info of my recipes. I love the interface. I hope it's pretty close to accurate :ohwell: !
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    A solution (which is a LOT more work!) would be to put all the nutrition information of the ingredients into a spreadsheet, add it up, and divide it by the number of servings. This is what I did until I found Sparks.com. Every once in a while I check it (since I already have the spreadsheet set up now!), and sparks.com seems to be fairly accurate.

Good luck!