4.2 pounds in one day?

Options
This week has been strange on the scale. From Wednesday the 1st to Wednesday the 8th, my weight didn't change at all. It hovered around 208.6. On Thursday, it dropped to 207.0, on Friday, another drop to 205.4. I was ecstatic. Then on Saturday it was up to 209.6, and today back at 208.6. What happened? I know that water can make it change a pound or more overnight, but the trend I have been seeing is that my weight is the lowest in the morning after using the restroom and before taking in any food or liquid.Seems strange that it could jump so high overnight.

25519766.png

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    the hell of the scale. you'll get all sorts of reasons on here. I say..put on your tight jeans..do they fit better? That's what I do every morning. I can get mine zipped now. haha!
  • lmeola18
    lmeola18 Posts: 35
    Options
    Have you been starting a new exercise program? If you're feeling sore or fatigued, muscles will hold onto water to repair themselves after you damaged them from exercising. This will lead to an increase in water weight. Also, if your sodium levels have been really high, this will also make your body cling to water. And if you're not drinking your 8 glasses! I wouldn't worry too much, it should drop in a couple of days.
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sodium can cause water retention. You're weighing too much though! Weigh once a week or month. Our bodies fluctuate and change so measure and weigh weekly
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Water retention can do some very strange things on the scale...That is why is is very important to monitor your sodium intake.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Very possible depending on sodium intake, water intake etc. Look at trends not daily fluctuations.
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Also consider the clothes you may be wearing might be different weights - assuming you weigh yourself clothed.
  • DeepAsAPlate
    DeepAsAPlate Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Biggest dump ever?
  • bradp1979
    bradp1979 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This(muscle soreness causing more water retention) is probably the most valuable piece of information I have seen so far. On Thursday, I did do something different in the gym, by alternating leg exercises with my regular upper-body exercises, as a result, my legs were sore on Saturday morning. Thank you!

I have been fitting into tighter jeans, I'm back to a size 34, which I haven't worn in 3 years! I was able to comfortably wear them yesterday, so I am stoked!

25519766.png
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Very possible depending on sodium intake, water intake etc. Look at trends not daily fluctuations.

I lost 6lbs in a day...all water weight after high sodium the day prior. Completely possible. Follow the trends and see if your patterns are consistent with the values of all your macros (water consumption included).
  • KimMesser319
    KimMesser319 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining muscle you will gain weight, even if you are physically getting smaller. Also of your muscles are sore, you may be seeing a lot of lactic acid buildup.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Biggest dump ever?

lol!
  • mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Do you have a digital scale? Is it placed near a heating/cooling vent on the floor? Seriously.....this can make your scale a little wacky. :)
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    That is perfectly normal....this is what i say to people....if you understand how weight works and that it will fluctuate then get on the scale if you want ....but if it discourages and frustrates confuses and depresses you (not saying its you) then stay off of it...
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day too because it helps me stay on track. The thing is though, that I don't get upset unless it goes up for three or four days in a row and I really watch my sodium intake. Try to drink your 8 cups of water a day and eat lots of vegetables. Be sure to take a deep breath and don't worry about it. Stress won't help you lose weight either. :wink: