Healthy Ideas for Camping

We are going to be on the road for 5 days next week...need some ideas so I don't fall into my old ways again. I know the basics..but I remember marshmellows and chips and pop...any ideas that would be better snacking for me?

Replies

• Are you staying in one place? Do you have a fridge, or are you basic?
    (I know you say you're on the road, but in a camper, or using campsites and a tent?)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Lots of water! Prepack snacks in baggies so you know how many calories each bag is. Don't buy junk but get snacks. Almonds, larabars, fruit,

Look at what you eat now for snacks that you enjoy pick ones that you can bag or cut up to keep in a cooler. I made the mistake last weekend living off hotdogs, chips, and pop. Omg I was really sick on Monday!

Find room for a cooler for water and snacks.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Go to BJ's and invest in one of those travel grills that has a gas range and skillet section. I just saw them this weekend. You can grill meats, veggies - just about everything on it while camping and it'll be healthy. You can prepare rice in advance and just add a little water and cover it with a lid on the grill. It'll steam it right up. :) Basically, you'll want something like this (or you may have your own version of a grill that's portable).

http://www.amazon.com/Blacktop-Premium-Party-Grill-Fryer/dp/B005JWZC6Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344785400&sr=8-3&keywords=party+grill

I saw this same grill at BJ's but for a lot less. You could avoid frying stuff in the center and it has separate controls.

Monica
  • sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    Sorry should have been more specific...we are in a camper with a small fridge...so thats a great thing!
  • Sorry should have been more specific...we are in a camper with a small fridge...so thats a great thing!

Well that makes it a whole lot easier! (what sort of camper?)
    Anyway, carrot and cucumber sticks and houmous to snack on, and strawberries or blueberries or something. In UK we always have staples in the van like baked beans and easy cook rice, vegetable chilli in a tin.
    Scrambled eggs?

Aim for finding fresh salad vegetables when you go to shops, and pittas or something and just big salad sandwiches?

Have fun!
    We're off on 26th August. Can't wait to get down to the sea. Fits five of us, the van, two boys in the roof, one boy in a hammock over the front seats, and me and Mr on the fold down bed!
  • sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    Sorry should have been more specific...we are in a camper with a small fridge...so thats a great thing!

Well that makes it a whole lot easier! (what sort of camper?)
    Anyway, carrot and cucumber sticks and houmous to snack on, and strawberries or blueberries or something. In UK we always have staples in the van like baked beans and easy cook rice, vegetable chilli in a tin.
    Scrambled eggs?

Aim for finding fresh salad vegetables when you go to shops, and pittas or something and just big salad sandwiches?

Have fun!
    We're off on 26th August. Can't wait to get down to the sea. Fits five of us, the van, two boys in the roof, one boy in a hammock over the front seats, and me and Mr on the fold down bed!

OH I totally forgot the hummus..mmmm....we have a larger camper. We were supposed to be camping lots this summer but unfortunately had an unexpected move (not our choice!) The kids are so excited. We have 3 boys as well! They are soo excited!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Don't they usually have those outdoor grills there? If yes, you can bring your weight scale, weigh your protein/meats (unless you don't eat meat) and grill kabobs. :) They even sell pans and stuff for cooking veggies on the grill (though kabob sticks work too).
  • So glad this came up. We're going camping the end of the month too and I was wondering what would be good to take.