Pepper? Cayenne Pepper.. Garlic Pepper... Black Pepper....

I LOVE pepper! I also LOVE spicy food. I used to love salt, but learned about sodium,retention, etc. so I don't add salt to anything and I watch my sodium level like a hawk in MFP.. What's the deal with PEPPER? Any downfalls to it? There is a small amount of sodium, nothing like salt and it makes everything so DELICIOUS. Input, anyone?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I use pepper all the time. I hardly use salt unless it is Nu-Salt.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    I suppose the downside would be all spices are irradiated if you are worried about that, and it can cause sneezing, but other than that pepper is great! Its high in antioxidants and other great cancer fighting properties. Makes food taste yummy and I've read some things that say it helps with appetite suppression.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    oh its also antibacterial
  • Try some dried chili flakes too,I add them to my salad and it gives it a nice background heat, and it's good for your metabolism .
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    pepper can actually bloat you
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    i love pepper/spicy stuff. i put at least 2 kinds of pepper/hot sauce on most things i eat
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    The health website I looked at says pepper does not cause bloating but it can be irritating to the stomach for sensitive people.

I love pepper and put all kinds of it on different foods. Black pepper potato chips are brilliant!