Ever just have a bad night? PLUS Book Recommendation

Options
Had a great workout in the morning - 800 calories on the treadmill plus abs, pushups, good stretches. Felt great and loving my new running shoes. Came home and made myself an omelette with lots of veg.

I knew we were going to a family party in the evening. There would be chips and dip, beer, burgers, dogs, and on and on. And Beer. Was good all day but was hungrier than I should have been when we arrived and dove right into the bean dip, so to speak. And then I swam through two hot dogs, did the backstroke through a tray of pasta and so on. I was Michael Phelps with a fork and plate. By my rough estimate, ate my exercise and then a bit more. Just still pissed with myself ESPECIALLY after people said - Wow, you look great - how much have you lost?

Having said all that, the greatest benefit of MFP is self-awareness and using this to turn good practices into habits. While I know I am doing great and one night is not the end of the world, I let myself down because I show very good self control so often. The fish for the grill tonight is defrosting. The greek salad makings are on the counter and I will back on track by tonight.

Back on track but still disappointed with myself for undoing my hard work.

Now the book recommendation

The Power of Habit
http://www.amazon.com/The-Power-Habit-What-Business/dp/1400069289

Fascinating insight into how and why we have habits and can look to the triggers and rewards that lead us to either have that cupcake when stressed or to work that stress out on a treadmill. Fascinating read.

Replies

• shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    As you said, it happens. The best thing to do, IMO, is to get up the next day, shrug and carry on. Obsessing over it and feeling guilty attaches unhealthy emotions to food and is a gateway to bingeing etc. besides, I doubt our bodies operate on a strict 24 hour clock.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    yeah, don't obsess. I over indulged on Friday, but it's done. It won't happen again for a few weeks, and in the meantime I will exercise, and eat well, and not worry about it. Draw the line