Is my intolerance of running a result of hypersensitivity?

Options
13»

Replies

• tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    As a NNT adult, I found running to be a problem until I hit up on running in sunglasses in the day of better still, running after dark. And (sad to say) headphones that block out distracting noises and jarring that is heard rather than felt. Compression tops to control jiggling and a loose tee-shirt over that. Running was my special interest for several years before I swapped it to cycling, which doesn’t help as much with stimming but helps prevent meltdowns.

If you can manage to run at max for a minute, and then have to stop, why not 80%max for a minute, then walk for 2 minutes then 80%max for a minute, then walk for 2 minutes then 70% max for a minute. Worked for me, I built up my distance like that. And I eventually was running 35 miles a week
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Intervals? That I can do. And about "the box" I can't quite picture what it is you're trying to say.

A lot of therapy techniques people describe to me make no sense as I wasn't diagnosed until adulthood. I had just turned 30. So I don't know a lot about different therapy techniques. I do spend most of my time, or as much as I can anyway, in a non stimulating environment.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Ah, okay, that makes sense. He may not get fatigue yet anyway - I didn't really get it till adulthood, because I didn't have to use so many strategies as a kid. I could just go into a world of my own and not bother so much with trying to understand the world. And also as a kid I didn't have the self awareness to know when I was tired anyway. I'm impressed you're teaching him so many strategies. That will give him a head start. No one taught me strategies - I had to figure them out for myself by trial and error..

one of my jobs going through school (I just graduated nursing school in 2010) was working with the disabilities office as a special tutor because I have a knack for helping people to overcome their issues with school/studying... so I talk to a person and help them figure out exactly what is the reason they are having a hard time and then get over it...

I also think that I have a lot of tendancies that fall near (or on) the spectrum... I am also very ADD but I learned coping skills early on and just deal with it... so I help people learn how to cope with intellectual non-norms ;)

one of the things that his last therapist and I have tried to teach him is self awareness... we do a LOT of discussion about how things affect him... and trying to teach him how to draw conclusions and cause/effect awareness (when I do this/ I feel this... etc)... we have worked with him for about 5 years now on self awareness and self inquiry....

And about "the box" I can't quite picture what it is you're trying to say.

basically it is a way of "categorizing" input.... I taught him how to separate the different aspects of the input and then the parts of the input that overwhelm him he "ignores" or puts "in the box"... it is a psuedo biofeedback, self hypnosis sort of thing... when we started... I would have him imagine a box... and we would discribe the box in intricate detail... in all five senses... the size and shape and mass and scent and feel etc of the box (and the lid)... then we would take the input that was overwhelming and mentally "put it in the box" when we first started it would take him 30-45 mins to "get over" the input and "put it in the box" now he can do it in seconds if he is with me or his siblings... and within minutes if he is by himself...

it is a technique that I taught myself in 3rd grade... I would have problems in school during tests... and all of the students would frustrate me and overwhelm me and I couldn't test.... so I figured out how to block out all of the input from the other students/environment... I would build a "box" around myself in my mind... and then the rest of the world would fade away while I took my test... and I went from a failing student to a straight a...