Should I eat the exercise calories?

Options
I am trying to lose 30lbs as of yet, I have not lost not one pound and I have been following my calorie count since July. Should I just stick with the 1310 calories alloted or should I eat all the calories added for the exercise?

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I eat mine but I also use a Polar FT60 heart rate monitor to give me a better idea of my calories burned... I then only consume 85% of them leaving 15% for error..... I fuel my body for the workouts I ask of it to do..... Best of Luck............
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I do. I use a HRM to get the most accurate calorie burn amounts instead of using the numbers MFP gives. If you are using the numbers this site gives you eat back half to 2/3 of them since the site overestimates calories burned.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The calories burned on MFP seems a bit high for most people. A HRM is the way to go for a more accurate accounting. I use about half of what MFP suggests for calorie burn and I eat mine most the time. If I don't eat them I can't work out as hard after a couple days.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I looked in your diary and it seems like you not getting to your target calories before your exercise burn which makes your calorie intake too low and will slow or stop your weight loss. Check out the link - it will show you how to set your target correctly based on your TDEE - total daily energy expenditure. If you follow the instructions your deficit and your exercise activity will be included giving you a constant daily calorie target. A lot easier than chasing your burn calories after the fact.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose 30lbs as of yet, I have not lost not one pound and I have been following my calorie count since July. Should I just stick with the 1310 calories alloted or should I eat all the calories added for the exercise?

I personally don't. I do stick with about 1250 calories reguardless of what it tells me too though. Sometimes if I can do so within 1/2 hour I will have a small whey/yogurt/fruit shake after a workout to get some extra protein in though. I added calories back in an found because I work out almost every day in some way I could not lose a single pound.
    I plan in 1 blow day a week as well, not sure why more people dont. That way you don't feel deprived and your body usually absorbs that day. Might want to wait till you see some scale movement though. We have a bday party today so I will eat foods I don't normally make as well as a few bites of bday cake. Next week the fair is here, so I will splurge with a gyro :) Week after we are camping so will have a few beers. Just 1 day a week!
    I started at 174 and it took 2 weeks of eating those calories and the scale not moving for me to make the decision not too, since then I am finally down 8 pounds. I had a start goal of around 30 pounds too, but also not to be "skinny fat". I want to be somewhat toned as well and fit better in clothes. Want to attempt some 5ks and feel good.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat at least 80% of them back, if not all of them. I eat them back, but I also fuel my workouts. I look at my diet from an addition standpoint instead of a restriction standpoint. I let the micros and macros guide my food choices according to what my body needs that day, be it in preparation for a hard workout, or an easy run or a recovery day. I look at my diary when it's time to eat and say to myself, "What do I need to add this time for optimal performance?" I never feel deprived being in that mindset, and I am much stronger and faster than women my age, and many younger than I.
  • vynnette26
    vynnette26 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I think I will invest in that Heart rate monitor
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    This is all new to me. A few questions about the heart-rate monitor. Where is a good place to look for one? Are there features to consider and are some brands better than others? What price range are they?