Cold Showers?

Options
Hey Everyone!

Just wondering if any of you have heard that finishing your last minute of your shower with cold water (70 degrees or cooler) will burn an extra 100 calories maybe 200? I read it somewhere in a lowfat cookbook I bought years ago and now can't find the quote.

What's your take on this??

Thanks in advance!!

~Beth

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I doubt it. If there is any extra calorie burn it wouldn't be that much in only a minute.

A cold water rinse does help your hair though... closes the cuticle and makes it shiny.
  • brewitzer
    brewitzer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yep! Cold water=shiny hair....that I do know as I tell all my clients at the salon the very same thing! ;)
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Doubt it would do much unless you dropped it to the point where you'd be jumping up and down screaming from the cold for a few minutes. LOL. It does make your hair shiny though and helps untangle it better. I've always done that at the end of my shower. Also, the cold water sorta stops you from getting sweaty on your way out. At least, that's what I've always experienced.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    also no idea about the calorie thing, but it's supposed to be good for the skin too. Supposedly tightens up the pores after all the heat. I always end with a dash of cold (except in winter)
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Poppycock. If it were true I would just put up with the discomfort for 10 minutes a day and not go to the gym.
    It was 70F with 70% humidity at 6AM in Los Angeles today, so during my after workout shower I turned the water full cold...it felt uncomfortable and good at the same time.
  • brewitzer
    Options
    Ok....here's what I remember reading...

It's gotta be under 70 degrees and it takes 60 seconds for your body to adjust to the cold water. Once you're used to it , your body donesn't burn the extra calories. It's during that adjustment period that you're burning the extra calories.

It's the same principle that ppl who work in extreme cold temps need to consume extra calories to keep the body warm.....

THINK ABOUT IT!
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have heard the same thing, and always wondered if it was true!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    :huh: thlmao-1.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The impact of taking a cold shower on your calorie burn is absolutely miniscule. You would burn more doing a couple of jumping jacks before getting into the shower - and it would be far less unpleasant.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I used to know a woman from France who swore by the cold shower finish. She said it "tightened the skin."
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    are you just pulling our leg? or has there been research done?

i usually end my shower by standing under the cold water for a couple minutes....helps close up the cuticles and pores in your body....plus makes things extra perky...lol

i like shiny hair.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Doubtful, but I love cold at the end of my showers, especially with it being so disgusting and hot outside. And as mentioned, it's good for the hair :)
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I Personly love cold showers after cardio but i would nt think it burn more calories then walking to the bathroom.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    http://muscleevo.net/cold-showers-weight-loss/

A quick google suggests that its wishful thinking - the effect is very small, and no scientific tests have been carried out.
  • l0seme
    l0seme Posts: 6
    Options
    There are diets based on this actually - a cold bath/shower and a black coffee in the morning.
    It's to do with boosting your metabolism for the day.
    Apparently.
  • Soltari675
    Soltari675 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The reason people in cold weather must eat extra calories is because the body works to keep you warm. Extra blood flow, minor muscle movements that eventually turn into shivering if the body needs to. Etc. 1 minute in cold water in the shower won't trigger that kind of response. And definitely not that many calories worth. I do agree with the brighter hair and skin. But they are pulling your leg about burning calories. You'd need several minutes in water cold enough to make you shiver to start burning any.
  • brewitzer
    Options
    Glad I made you all think this morning;)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ok....here's what I remember reading...

It's gotta be under 70 degrees and it takes 60 seconds for your body to adjust to the cold water. Once you're used to it , your body donesn't burn the extra calories. It's during that adjustment period that you're burning the extra calories.

It's the same principle that ppl who work in extreme cold temps need to consume extra calories to keep the body warm.....

THINK ABOUT IT!

What if it was 70.1 or 71 degrees, no dice on the extra calorie burn?
  • brewitzer
    Options
    All I'm saying is that I read this somewhere in one of my lowfat cookbooks and it came to mind this morning. If I find it I will let you all know where and what page so you can blast the author instead of me...I don't remember the exact details of this tip he wrote...