Whats more important: Diet or Exercise?

Options

Replies

• megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    a typical snack for me is 250 calories or so. Those calories go IN a lot easier & faster than they go OUT.

I'm not knocking exercise, but if you eat more calories than you burn, you have to do a lot more exercise to burn it off than if you just didn't eat it.

Yup. Nothing will make you feel as good as exercise does, but if you don't control what goes into your mouth, you can't control what comes off of your hips (or thighs or belly or whatever).
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    im a firm believer that your diet is what helps you drop the pounds and clean your insides and exercise is great for your cardio vascular and respirtory health as well making you strong!! Ive exercised without any real nurtition at all (i was eating normally for who I was then) and I was seeing no results and barely any changes from working out.

without exercising and just nutrition, I saw a drop but for me it wasnt quick enough and i like i was going to end up flabby with looose skin.

coupled together, exercise and nutrition is a force to be reckoned with and it works for me
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    While both are important Diet by far will determine your weight
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Diet or exercise - that's a loaded question! Agreed diet first 80% and exercise 20%, but equally impt.

Check out : http://www.livestrong.com/article/407857-what-is-more-important-diet-or-exercise/

You can get alot info from them.
  • emmaonamission
    Options
    In my experience, diet. If I eat crap, I don't lose, but if I eat well and don't exercise I still lose weight. Having said that, exercise makes me feel good and makes me look better too. Feeling good & looking better makes me want to eat better to keep that up, so it's all connected for me :)
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I love that quote: coupled together, exercise and nutrition is a force to be reckoned with and it works for me
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    What you eat and drink is ABSOLUTELY the Most Important thing for weight loss, maintenance, and HEALTH. FOOD is your FIRST line of Defense against disease: Prevention and Healing, and it is the Key to Emotional and Mental Wellbeing. Activity is at most 10-15% in importance.
  • brlandr1
    brlandr1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    just read the article and it helped alot!!! Thankyou
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    Diet.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Healthy lifestyle is the key not a "diet." Diets produce short term losses always followed by long term gains. Lead a healthy lifestyle and exercise.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Both.

Ditto
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Healthy lifestyle is the key not a "diet." Diets produce short term losses always followed by long term gains. Lead a healthy lifestyle and exercise.

EXACTLY! :drinker:
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    mmm diet is what makes you lose weight more than exercise. However, exercise makes you look like you've lost weight.

so..really? ya know?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    mmm diet is what makes you lose weight more than exercise. However, exercise makes you look like you've lost weight.
    Or as I've seen it said: "Diet makes you look good in clothes; exercise makes you look good naked."
  • Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    "You LOSE weight in the kitchen, you get FIT at the gym". I love this.
    TRUE!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For me personally it has to be both. Just watching diet is eh, just exercising is eh, put together and that's when all the happy happens!

This ^^^^^^

is what I call S-Y-N-E-R-G-Y !!! :heart: :happy:
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have posted this on other threads, but it helped me understand weight loss.

Cardio is to help your heart and lungs, Weight/resistance training is for your muscles, bones and metabolism.

Eating less calories than what you have been eating is for losing weight.

A pound of fat is 3500 calories. If you burn 10 calories a minute/600 calories an hour, it will take 5.83 hours to lose one pound, IF you do not increase calories. That’s 1.17 hours of exercise a day, five days a week, maintaining 10 calories burned a minute, no slowing down. The average person burns between 5 and 7 calories a minute.

If you have been eating 3000 calories a day and reduce it to 1800 (I’m a guy), you are eating at a 1200 calorie a day deficit or 8400 calories a week for, potentially, 2.4 pounds of fat removed from your body, all other things being equal.
  • Cdpemberton
    Cdpemberton Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Only speaking from my experience, but I would say both are key depending on what your trying to achieve. Your body type and what foods you include in your diet can make a difference in your results. I started out with excercise first and only noticed a physical change once I changed my diet and calorie intake. I feel if I had changed my diet earlier, I would be a tad bit leaner (but I will never know).
  • brenda4life
    brenda4life Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Definitely diet. I had a personal trainer that told me that he could only help with about 10% of my problem, the other 90% I would have to face myself, in the kitchen. I believe it.
  • Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    I would say both. Simply for this reason, if you just diet, you'll tend to have more jiggle/loose skin (the more weight you lose, the more this will happen) Where as if you diet & work out, you're tightening & toning everything up