gastric band

Options
hiya,i had a gastric band in may this year and have lost 5 stone so far,anyone else on here had a gastric band?xx

Replies

• joannecando
    Options
    I did have a lap-band, but due to unfortunate complications, had to have it removed in January. I am trying to lose now the weight I gained after that (and before that, actually). Congratulations on your loss!
  • tracyt84
    tracyt84 Posts: 15
    Options
    thanks for the quick reply,do u mind me asking what complications u had from the band?x
  • joannecando
    Options
    It was kind of a long decline. I had the band put in, lost about 80 pounds, and then got pregnant. I think that during the pregnancy, the band shifted somehow. The doctor who finally took it out said that it was deeply eroded. When I went in for the barium swallow, none of it went through. I had reached a point where I was living on milkshakes because nothing would go down, and then had reflux so bad I would wake up with it on my pillow. I probably could have had another one put in, but I don't have the insurance that covers the surgery any more, so I just had it taken out and had a gastric plication (similar to the gastric sleeve). The restriction is not the same, and I feel hungry a lot, not at all like when the band was working. I sincerely hope your experience is better than mine! I know that I am in the minority with the problems.