Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes

Options
OK, so I must be PMSing, because I have a chocolate craving. Just made a batch of chocolate cupcakes, substituting a can of pumpkin for the oil/water/eggs in the cake mix. Per my calculations one cupcake (not iced), will be about 89 calories (YAY!). I know they are not the best as far as sugar goes, but better than a slice of cake :)

In case you are interested I used 1 box of supermoist Devil's Food cake (Betty Crocker), and 1, 29oz can of 100% pure pumpkin (Kroger). I mixed it very well, and made 22 large cup cakes. Baked for 15-18 mins in 350 degree F oven.

Replies

• ssbarfarkle
    ssbarfarkle Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ooooh! I must try this. Thanks!
  • lishwish
    lishwish Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • maryinnc
    maryinnc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    OOOh, that sounds so good! I will have to try it. Thanks.
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Sounds wonderful!
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Woah, yum. Does it taste like pumpkin at all? I'm obsessed with anything pumpkin flavored or scented, and the first day the temperature drops below 70, I'm all about some pumpkin.
  • Jenniferrose194
    Jenniferrose194 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just made a hybrid of this recipe to kill my craving as well! One box chocolate cake mix one 15 oz can pumpkin, BUT, I love a light fluffy cupcake so I added 1/4 cup of ice water with the pumpkin and then folded in 2 beaten egg whites. After doing the math I came up with 73 calories each when I made it in into 24 cupcakes. Baked at 350 for 16 minutes and they are light airy and quite yummy. Admittedly I would like them better with a handful of mini chocolate chips but I can live without for a couple months.
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You can also mix basically any of those box mixes with 12oz (1 can) of diet soda and it turns out amazingly with no additional calories. I made a box of the low fat Betty Crocker brownies mixed with a can of diet coke for my bf's birthday party and everyone loved them and was in shock when I told them I'd substituted the eggs, oil and water for diet coke AND that they were the low fat box. I cooked them about five minutes extra but they still turned out fudge, which is how I prefer my brownies. I'm told this works just as well with the cake mixes.
  • mrsmustgetmuscles1
    Options
    OMG, I've got to try both suggestions on here...pumpkin and diet cola. I've never thought of replacing the oil and eggs with one of these, but have done applesauce instead of oil.
  • mrsmustgetmuscles1
    Options
    OMG, I've got to try both suggestions on here...pumpkin and diet cola. I've never thought of replacing the oil and eggs with one of these, but have done applesauce instead of oil.

couldn't wait to try it....used a box of Pillsbury moist supreme devil's food cake mix and a can of diet dr. pepper...super easy to make and absolutely delicious! Of course the kids wanted chocolate chips but they gobbled them up without.
  • AmyJMadison
    AmyJMadison Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Oh No You Didn't! I will be a mixing matching fool now! I am already thinking that when I get home there will be chocolate rootbeer cake for tonight and then I will probably get busy with orange pop! Thank you! That is brilliant! Now to keep from eating the whole pan!
  • sbermud
    sbermud Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yay.. love this