weight lifting; how to go about it?

Options
Heya guys. I've recently become interesting in weight lifting, I'm wondering if going down that certain path of exercise would help me out in the long run of getting fit and healthy. :- ) . I only have the little, iota of experience 30DS and RI30 provide via strength training. I guess this question would go more so to the ladies, but guys, I'd appreciate input too!

How'd you start, how'd you go about it? Tips, info, anything helps while I scour the internet to help me with these questions too!

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    The link below will give you kmore than enough to get started. Yes, train like a man.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I read "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, and I spent time on here in the forums and on bodybuilding.com reading and asking questions. I also watched videos on youtube for correct form.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I did alot of research. Read lyle mcdonald, riptoe, berkhan. Watched videos on form. Talked to alot of men on here that lift heavy. One of them set up a type of 5*5 program for me.

There are lots of programs you can follow. New rules of lifting, stronglifts 5*5, starting strength. Compound lifts are best IMO. I cant stress form enough & lift heavy for you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The link below will give you kmore than enough to get started. Yes, train like a man.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

Good sources in that link. And I totally agree with the 'train like a man'.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I did alot of research. Read lyle mcdonald, riptoe, berkhan. Watched videos on form. Talked to alot of men on here that lift heavy. One of them set up a type of 5*5 program for me.

There are lots of programs you can follow. New rules of lifting, stronglifts 5*5, starting strength. Compound lifts are best IMO. I cant stress form enough & lift heavy for you.

And when all else fails.... Bite the head off the trainer at the gym giving bad advice :P
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

And when all else fails.... Bite the head off the trainer at the gym giving bad advice :P

Absolutely.