New to spinning- am I working hard enough??

Two weeks ago, I started spinning (2x a week, plus yoga or circuit training 2x a week). I *feel* like I am working really hard, but I find it discouraging when I am nowhere NEAR the goals the instructor sets!

I've never been an active person, and would guess I am in pretty terrible shape, cardiovascular-wise. I quit smoking last winter, and am finally starting to see my lung capacity increase. I'm 5' 6" and 143 lbs.

My instructor today wanted our watts between 80 (flat road recovery) and over 200 (climbing fast). I barely got it to 140 for about 10 seconds before I was wiped out and ended up spending more time recovering. I didn't see stars today, but I did last week for a moment-- before drinking lots of water and taking it down a notch! Definitely haven't felt like I was going to puke though!

Am I not pushing myself hard enough, or do I just need time to adjust? Any advice for how hard a beginner "should" be working?

Thanks!!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    You are absolutely working hard enough. The only requirement to becoming more physically fit is to push yourself places you've never been. You're doing exactly that. Keep going, and each week you will become a little strong enter than the last. A couple months from now the instructors suggested wattage will seem too easy and you'll kick it up a notch.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    my first time spinning, 10 minutes in, I thought I was dying. Literally. Over the next few weeks, it got easier. My recovery time shortened and I found myself jamming out to the music more often then dwelling on the feeling of death. Go at your own pace. You also don't want to hurt yourself.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    These things take time. Find a good metric for yourself during workouts and use that to measure your progress - for example, make a note after a spin session about how it felt to push 80 watts for 2 mins, or if you wear a HRM figure out how you felt at 160 BPM. Do this after every workout and compare your notes from week to week.
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    As one of the spin instructors at my gym says, "It's your ride, it's your workout." You need to work at your own pace. I have been spinning for quite a while and I can't believe what I can do now compared to when I started. It takes time to build up your stamina but you will get there. Most importantly, keep moving and have fun.
  • reddevil29
    reddevil29 Posts: 169 Member
    I totally love spinning, its my favourite class....but I was like you when I started, I thought I would get sick and when I stepped off the bike I nearly keeled over!!! I went back for more punishment and after a few classes I noticed how I didn't feel as bad as what I did first. Once you are sweating, then your heart rate is high and you are pushing yourself, if that means you cant do what the instructor says then so be it.....you will get there bit by bit with each class you attend :-)
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Don't be so hard on yourself! Spin is HARD on a person with good conditioning... so do your best and keep at it, it's the only way to build endurance!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    I dont know anything about the "watts" since our bikes dont have that... but spinning takes a long time to work up to... You should never push yourself harder than you can or you will hurt yourself severely. Ignore the instructor. Do the moves but dont worry about "goals".

Are your legs sore when you finish? Are you sweating and your heart rate is elevated? Than YES you are working hard enough.
  • AiimeeDee
    AiimeeDee Posts: 116 Member
    You are for sure working hard enough and like the others said just give your self time. For only two weeks in you are doing awesome. When I started spin it probably took me a month or two at least till I could finally keep up. I stick with spin because it is always, always a challenge, I have been consistent with it for a close to year now and it is truly the only workout to shred my leg fat. Good luck and keep up the hard work!! :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Yes, absolutely. The only person you should be trying to compare yourself to, is yesterday's version of you.
  • It sounds like you're doing great! There is no one size fits all for spin, and your instructor certainly shouldn't make you feel like you need to be up to speed, no pun intended, when you just started. The bikes we use at my studio display the wattage at the end of the ride, and for a 60 minute class, some people are just above 30 and others are over 100.

Take your time and let it be YOUR ride. Spin burns an amazing amount of calories, and it takes time to build stamina for it. Seriously my first few months of spinning I didn't even bother trying to hit certain wattage or miles, my goal was to survive!

It's a totally fun work out, so don't let the number stress you!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    I agree with everyone else... just keep going and give it you're all, it'll get easier for you to work harder (if that makes sense).

My very first spin class was just a couple days after my father was diagnosed with deadly lung cancer. I didn't want to go to class--why start something new at a time like this, I thought--but went anyway. I huffed and puffed and had a helluva time getting thru those 60 minutes. My instructor had two rules: have fun and no quitting during the first week. Within a couple sessions things were easier and I was stronger. Seven months later I went to spin the morning we buried my father. I cried while I rode (those dark rooms are good for that!) and realized how far I'd come.

Since then I've done multi-day road rides in the states, cycled thru Ireland on vacation, and bought a spin bike for my basement (which I actually ride, often). If you enjoy it, it'll get easier and cycling will become a part of your life. If you don't like it, there is no shame in that.

Use a HRM if you have one, it's really the best indicator as to how hard you're working. And remember, it's your class and your ride so challenge yourself, but you don't need to kill yourself to make strides.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Take it from the "spinqueen".....just getting your butt on that bike is a HUGE accomplishment!
    I was terrified when I took my first class. The instructor was very understanding that this was my first time. She pushed me, but she never hurt me.
    I loved it so much, I went 3 times a week!
    I don't take the classes anymore...but only because I like to do things on my own. I get on that bike, and do all the "class moves". I push myself as hard as I can go. I can get that bike up to 135mph.
    Anyways.....you are doing great! Don't give up, and don't feel like you have to be on the exact same level as anyone else!! You have to work your way up!

I'm not called spinqueen for nothing!!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • buzcruz
    buzcruz Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks everyone! I guess I'm just always afraid I could be working harder, but I also have no desire to fall off my bike/barf on the person in front of me! :) I'm looking forward to continuing with it- the high I get from class is amazing. My friends think I'm on crack afterward!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    You will get there! Do what you can and each class try to do a little more. After a while you will be at those numbers and beyond. You can also play with your resistance to help with your watts on the bike. On the climbs a higher gear will increase your watts output.
  • AiimeeDee
    AiimeeDee Posts: 116 Member
    Thanks everyone! I guess I'm just always afraid I could be working harder, but I also have no desire to fall off my bike/barf on the person in front of me! :) I'm looking forward to continuing with it- the high I get from class is amazing. My friends think I'm on crack afterward!

LOL! Yes! It is a great rush afterwards and I am totally addicted to it!
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    "It's tough, but you're tougher !!" Another quote from another spin instructor. Just want to keep you motivated!!! Best wishes.