Zumba

Options
Is there any Zumba that can be done by someone with arthritis in both knees. I am currently taking Synvisc injections for my right knee but would really like to try Zumba. Just know that right now my knees won't stand the stress.

Replies

• Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Honestly, Zumba is very high impact. They do a lot of hip rolling, jumping around and fast paced dance-cardio. You could always try a class to see how you like it, I have back issues and always make sure that the instructors know that I have an injury so If I am modifying the move that they are doing, they know why (sometimes they will even make suggestions).

I think Zumba would be very difficult on someone with painful knees though.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am on knee surgery number two and round two of cortisone for this surgery. The great thing about Zumba is that the instructors are all about letting you modify to your ability. As long as you keep moving you are still getting the benefits of the workout. I do not and cannot jump around but i keep moving. Worst case scenario is link up with a zumba gold class, it's geared toward a more "seasoned" crowd and is lower impact. They also have aqua based zumba classes if i'm not mistaken. Lots of luck to you!!!
  • jlilangel
    Options
    I am a Zumba instructor and one of the first things I tell my class before we start is to know your own limits. Yes, I will modify moves but you know your body better than I do. I do a lot of jumping during class, but I will also modify it with a shuffle or putting one foot out then back in and the same on the other side to get the same benefit. I have to modify for other body movements as well, like for back or arm issues. Remember to let your instructor know before class if you have any issues. Also, try Zumba Gold which is not high impact at all. Good luck!
  • M08distel
    M08distel Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all of you for the replies. I have wanted to try Zumba for some time but my daughter who does Zumba was very discouraging with me about it. I think she was just genuinely concerned about doing more harm to my knees but I still want to at least try it.
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am on knee surgery number two and round two of cortisone for this surgery. The great thing about Zumba is that the instructors are all about letting you modify to your ability. As long as you keep moving you are still getting the benefits of the workout. I do not and cannot jump around but i keep moving. Worst case scenario is link up with a zumba gold class, it's geared toward a more "seasoned" crowd and is lower impact. They also have aqua based zumba classes if i'm not mistaken. Lots of luck to you!!!

I love this post. My meniscus in my left knee is not doing so hot. I am trying not to have surgery and let it heal on its own. I take zumba 2x a week. The instructor knows that I can't bounce around on my knee and she tells me to do what I can do and just keep moving.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You can modify the movements to be easier on your knees. My gym also recently put in a spring floor in half of the room, and I stand on that because it provides a lot more cushion for my knees. Another option is to look for a "Zumba in a Chair" option. My gym offers a chair Zumba class for folks who have knee/lower extremity issues or injuries.
  • M08distel
    M08distel Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've looked at all the Zumba on DVD and can find nothing about Zumba Gold. Is this something that is only offered in the gym? I can't really afford another expense at the moment, maybe by the end of the year but I was really wanting to find something now that I could do at home.
  • JessNyathi
    Options
    Zumba have also just started aqua zumba, which my Mum does and LOVES. To be honest Zumba really aggravated an existing knee condition for me, it's high impact and a lot of twisting. Try aqua fit/aerobics if you can, they are fab and if you are from the UK look at Kettlercise (see my other post), fine on my knees although there are a lot of squats. you can modify the jumos and it's still effective.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    My ymca has water zumba. I would think that would be better for impact
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Okay, I've looked at all the Zumba on DVD and can find nothing about Zumba Gold. Is this something that is only offered in the gym? I can't really afford another expense at the moment, maybe by the end of the year but I was really wanting to find something now that I could do at home.

im interested in doing zumba also, I have two bad knees and rarely leave the house. there is no way I can attend a zumba class. So may I ask where you attained the Zumba dvd? That would help me greatly. Thank you Keri