i need help my partners eating dorriiitoooss ffs!!!

Options

Replies

• Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    just eat some. it wont kill you
    This. As long as you don't eat the whole bag, and log your calories...there's no reason to deprive yourself. That's how people fail at losing weight...

It depends on the person. Some people find it better to satisfy a craving by eating a little of it.
    Others know full well that they struggle with 'a little', and find it far better to resist certain foods completely. Different people work differently, and one way isn't for everyone.

And if a partner supports one's attempt to eat properly, it would certainly be kind of the partner to do any eating of Doritos or other known temptation foods out of one's presence. It's not controlling someone else's food. It's requesting help in something that's difficult.

I do agree that it is different for everyone, however I don't agree with asking someone to leave the room to eat the foods they choose to eat. I'M the one changing my eating habits, therefore if I don't want to be around a certain type of food, it should be ME that leaves the room. Just sayin'.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    It's ok to eat some and it won't kill you....BUT sometimes, you can't just eat a serving. There a few foods that once I get started I can't stop at a serving or "just a couple" and I end up making deals with myself or promises of more exercise just to work off the calories. However, I never follow through with those deals or promises, so things like Doritos, I have to avoid. I have decided for me, it's best to keep things I can eat around for cases such as this. OR...I find something else to do to keep me busy and distracted. The whole water thing....yeah, doesn't work for me. I don't need the food because I'm hungry, I want the food because it TASTES GOOD! :wink:
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Haha I love when people suggest drinking water will make you full and dull your craving. HA!!! I say! :noway:

I would suggest getting out of the house......and make him take out the trash! :explode:

SO VERY TRUE!! I agree maybe take a nice walk or something, it might keep your mind off things :)
  • kristinacottle
    Options
    I would tell him to GTFO or start supporting you including not eating foods like that right in front of you. Kick 'em where it counts. (=

And you can have doritos, in the right amount. ;D

:huh:
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    just eat some. it wont kill you

I know this is said in a supportive way and means well by it BUT I have to say, this is my LEAST favorite comment I hear all the time. The other day at a meeting, someone brought in brownies. (later learned they also had a cookie dough bottom and an entire reese cup under the brownie...so it wasn't JUST A LITTLE BROWNIE.) I casually said, "wow, those look good." Then about 10 people chime in, "JUST EAT IT. IT WON'T KILL YOU." Or, "YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE. EAT A BROWNIE."

These comments drive me nuts. Obviously I know a brownie wont will me. However, eating that "ONE brownie" every time its around WILL kill progress. That ONE brownie was probably 300+ calories. Yes, I wanted to eat 5 of them. But what do I want MORE? Abs.

THIS think about YOUR GOAL not the doritos they arent worth the guilt you will feep later its a temporary craving that can be mastered mind over matter! Dont fall to temptation and dont think your partner shouldnt support you and not tempt you with junk! My partner wont eat that crap infront of me he is curtious and will take it elsewhere such as on the patio or wait until im showering or asleep this is a journey in life thats better with support especially from your best friend :) goodluck!
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    This would never happen in my house. It is pretty well known by others around me, I can't stand to hear people chew their food. And chips can just not be eaten quietly. No way I could sit within smelling distance of such noisy eating! Have to have music or TV or lots of back ground noise. No fault of others, just a pet peeve.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    the popcorn idea is a good one x
  • gypsykitchen
    Options
    I have asked my hubby to only buy flavors of chips that I don't like. Same with cookies. It actually helps.

If he was eating my fav, while sitting next to me, I would have to leave the room (or he would, LOL!)

Yes! This is how I have achieved relative peace with this, too. When my boyfriend wants candy, he knows to get the kind I don't like - this way, he can have his treats and I won't be tempted.

Also - I would measure out like, four or five pieces of Doritos, and eat them really slowly, in tiny bites. Satisfies the craving without busting out your calorie limit.
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The next time he's eating his Doritos try this to curb you appetite.
    Makes 1 serving
    3 tbsp unpopped kernels
    1 tbsp grated parmesan
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp salt
    1tsp chives

Directions
    Pop 3 tbsp unpopped corn kernels, in paper bag, no oil necessary. Place in large bag and sprinkle on pizza toppings. Shake until popcorn is evenly covered.

I am stealing this...thank you!
  • slade37
    slade37 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lick his fingers and record 5 calories

ok THAT was funny
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself some of those 100 calories pack of Doritos. When he rips open a bag, go grab yourself one too. I don't stop myself from eating everything just because I want to lose weight. I'll take a chip or two out of my kids' bags if they are having those as a snack. For the most part I'm pretty good. If I'm craving more then so be it, I'll log it and eat it and make sure that I don't have anything "bad" for the rest of the day.

If you aren't the type of person to have "just a few" then I like what others have suggested...go for a walk and get yourself out of there. Also, that popcorn idea sounds delicious.
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    have had some well funny comments love it !! espesh spraying windowlene on them haha but guys i was only half serious i wernt pissed off he was eating them and i certainly wasnt completely effin tearing my hair out so people hu came bk with helpful or funny comments thanku,

and to the ones who were gettin all high and mighty telling me to just move and *kitten* etc etc then chill out luvs, maybe get a sense of humour and bit of compassion cz from wt i last herd this site was a site for support in the jouney of weightloss together, not a site to be judged alright, im trying to get my self control in check with snacking not to ruin all social situations by flouncing out of the room every time anyone cracks open a packet of crisps jeeze!! and if u int got anything supportive to say to the people hu post on the forums then stop trawling thru them to comment then u losers.... just saying..
    Lol same happened on my rant. I think its the theme of the day. Sometimes we just need a rant to survive the silly men in our lives jeez! You'd think a simple case if men being irritating was a cause for divorce the way some people have reacted to our need to vent!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation, that's all I have to say on the matter.
    agree. remember this is a life change.. not a diet. If you deprive yourself, you will fail. Work it into your calories and HAVE IT...

I dont understand why people think they cant eat?? I have them in with my taco salad. *shrugs* im still losing!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Is someone forcing you to sit there beside him while he eats Doritos? Get up, get off the computer. You are the one who has a problem with Doritos, so you deal with it.
  • MrDangerSass
    Options
    Lick his fingers and record 5 calories

Brilliant!...it's bound to raise his heart rate too...healthy option for both...win win.
  • predent
    predent Posts: 95
    Options
    I have one of these:
    _MG_9531.jpg

I use it to squirt the dog when she is acting up and to squirt the boyfriend when he is chowing down on delicious food that I can't eat.

Best $25 investment I ever made.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Yummymommy - You still have 690 calories to eat for today. It's not wonder you're hungry. Grab that bag out of that man's hands - look at the calorie counts and quantity amount - eat what you haven't eaten today! You've got tons of room! If you're exercising that much you need to eat. That's why you're hungry!
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    And if a partner supports one's attempt to eat properly, it would certainly be kind of the partner to do any eating of Doritos or other known temptation foods out of one's presence. It's not controlling someone else's food. It's requesting help in something that's difficult.
    I do agree that it is different for everyone, however I don't agree with asking someone to leave the room to eat the foods they choose to eat. I'M the one changing my eating habits, therefore if I don't want to be around a certain type of food, it should be ME that leaves the room. Just sayin'.
    Sure, they don't *have* to leave the room. I'm saying that it would be the act of a supportive friend/girlfriend/husband/etc to choose not to consume tempting foods around one who is trying to stay off them.
    If your wife is an alcoholic, that doesn't mean you need to quit drinking, but a supportive husband might choose not to drink alcohol in her presence. Same goes for food.
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    agree. remember this is a life change.. not a diet. If you deprive yourself, you will fail. Work it into your calories and HAVE IT...
    I dont understand why people think they cant eat?? I have them in with my taco salad. *shrugs* im still losing!
    If you deprive yourself terribly of everything, you will certainly fail. But depriving yourself of a specific food you have learned you have a lot of trouble to moderate is not necessarily going to make you fail.
    When a person is trying to quit drinking, we don't suggest they let themselves have some wine here and there to not deprive themselves - we recognise that none is generally much easier to control than some. For some people, chips, or sugar, or whatnot has a similar trigger, and they are much more likely to stay on the diet if chips are a complete no-go than if they have to try to eat some but not the whole bag.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    If you deprive yourself terribly of everything, you will certainly fail. But depriving yourself of a specific food you have learned you have a lot of trouble to moderate is not necessarily going to make you fail.
    When a person is trying to quit drinking, we don't suggest they let themselves have some wine here and there to not deprive themselves - we recognise that none is generally much easier to control than some. For some people, chips, or sugar, or whatnot has a similar trigger, and they are much more likely to stay on the diet if chips are a complete no-go than if they have to try to eat some but not the whole bag.

if you're addicted to any food that badly - you need counseling. if youre NOT addicted to food (in your head) and your body is craving a binge, it probably means its missing out key nutrients. thats why pregnant women crave dirt and other weird things - their body is craving that mineral.

alcohol is a physical addiction. i would know, my mother is one. her body ACTUALLY needs it (she'll have seizures without it) and her body reacts differently to alcohol than other people who aren't alcoholics. i think food "addiction" is all in the head, so i dont see why people either cant a) get counseling or b) recognise it, and stop complaining on a message board