Please tell me I'm not crazy....

Options
Ntdrkyet
Ntdrkyet Posts: 64 Member
So here is my deal, I am a single mom to two great kids. I deal with lots of stress, like most people. Recently, my 6 y/o son has gone back to counseling because of bad seperation anxiety. I was involved in a hit and run, and my insurance is fighting me to pay for it. The accident happened on the interstate, at 70mph. Plus there were no witnesses. I go to school part time and work full time. I have lots of financial stress because I receive no child support. I work in a small community hospital and have for the past 11 years and have seen/ watched more people and families suffer great loss then I can remember.

But here is my issue, I can't cry over my problems or over the cases I have seen at work. I know I have those moments when I know a good cry would make me feel better. Even when I try to cry, I can't.

But i can tear up at an emotional commercial, and openly cry over some silly drama sitcom (ie Criminal minds, CSI). I had to pause the movie Marley and Me because I was balling so much I couldn't watch the movie.
Does this make me crazy? Or strange? I don't understand!

Replies

• skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    No you are not crazy. I'm sure many of know exactly what you are going through.

Next time you are at the Dr be sure to bring it all up. You have a lot of anxiety and stress now. Maybe you need to take something for a while or talk to someone.

Try to avoid any stress you don't have to deal with. Find something you feel joy over and don't let it go. Set aside a certain time period for no stress. Years ago I decided I would no longer stay awake for days over stress. I now go to bed and tell myself I can continue my worrying the next day.

Good luck to you.

Oh, laugh. Find something to laugh about. Even it's silly cartoons. You need to laugh.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Everyone handles stress differently. Possibly because of your job you can't cry. I mean you can't be crying all the time at work, so you learn to turn off the tears and it spreads over to other areas of your life. I've actually heard this a lot about people in the healthcare field, okay it was probably on tv on those hospital drama shows, but I think it applies. I'm with skonly - have a good laugh instead.