Warrior dash or Tough Mudder

Options

Replies

• mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i did the warrior dash before i started losing weight or exercising or anything. i went with a group of friends and didn't train ahead of time. that was for sure a mistake, but not a big one. i just walked most of it, lol. but the obstacles were fun! i loved climbing over the walls, i was really proud when i completed it! and crawling through the mud was fun at the end, and then of course a free beer :) and get a turkey leg!! they are delicious!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I did the Warrior Dash in June. It really wasn't that hard, running the hilly terrain was harder than any of the obstacles. It's about 3 miles long so if you can run that far and climb a ladder you will probably be fine. You can go around any obstacle you don't want to do.

I haven't done a Tough Mudder, but I have friends that did. It's a half marathon plus obstacles, real obstacles not the easy Warrior Dash ones. They jumped off a cliff into water and were electrocuted several times. It's hardcore.

My friend told me that at the end of mile 3 in the TM, they put up a sign reading "Warrior Dash Finish", at that point you still have ten miles to run.

Wow, they don't shock you but electrocute you? That's Hardcore. I don't think I would like to die in the middle of a run. :wink:
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i haven't done tough mudder but i did rugged maniac (same as warrior dash). let me tell you it's a challenge but it's crazy FUN! imo the running part is the least of your worries. the obstacles are challenging (at least they were for me). lots of upper body strength because you do a lot of climbing and crawling and pulling. i'm not saying this to scare you but personally i would do warrior dash before tough mudder. for one tough mudder is a longer run and second the obstacles are more challenging. overall tough mudder is more hard core. warrior dash is the way to start/go. just remember the hardest part is signing up.
    I just signed up for Warrior Dash in 2013. I'm a little freaked out cuz I'm over weight and out of shape. I've never been, but a group of my friends have gone the last 2 years and loved it!!

I understand, I'm overweight too. But I workout a ton already and I have been working on my running. So I think I'm gonna be more than ready for it next year.

Thanks for replying everyone.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Wow, they don't shock you but electrocute you? That's Hardcore. I don't think I would like to die in the middle of a run. :wink:

Really?

Ok, so during the race you're wet and you're forced to make contact with live wires thus sending electric current through your body. Happy?
  • crazy_indeed
    crazy_indeed Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have not done the Warrior Dash. I am doing the Tough Mudder in September. The Rugged Manaic is an awesome mud run!!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to do a Tough Mudder in about a year. Hopefully that'll be enough time to train for it!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    here are the links to my warrior dash and spartan sprint blogs:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/allabtlm?month=201205

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/allabtlm?month=201203

My tough mudder is in 4 weeks.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I did my first Warrior Dash in Charlotte NC last May and then two weeks later did another in Logan OH.. they were awesome!! I trained all winter, and was well prepared, I placed top 24% in my age group (and I'm at the outskirts of that age group, at 39, so I beat the pants of lots and lots of gals much younger than I).. but most people that run a Warrior Dash have never ran one nor trained for it.. It's lots of fun, I swear, the first one I did was one of the best days of my life! Be prepared to PARTAY!
  • CoronerKris
    CoronerKris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I did the warrior dash for the first time two days ago.....it was a blast! For us it was a lot of uphill in the beginning so people who sprinted off the start line were winded quite quickly but I honestly thought it was so much fun. Obstacles aren't too bad, mostly crawling under barbed wire, through mud pits and a few walls that you have to climb up but its definitely doable. I'm hooked now and want to do tough mudder or one of the spartan races next. Good luck and im sure youll have a blast! =)
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I did Warrior Dash in Ontario on July 21st.... it was a lot of fun. My only suggestion to all of you if you plan to be a bit competitive is to RUN HILLS, that was the only brutal part and run them in the HEAT because it was hot out and that was my only struggle.

I am taking on Tough Mudder on Sunday, I will keep you posted! ;)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I did the Warrior Dash in June. It really wasn't that hard, running the hilly terrain was harder than any of the obstacles. It's about 3 miles long so if you can run that far and climb a ladder you will probably be fine. You can go around any obstacle you don't want to do.

I haven't done a Tough Mudder, but I have friends that did. It's a half marathon plus obstacles, real obstacles not the easy Warrior Dash ones. They jumped off a cliff into water and were electrocuted several times. It's hardcore.

My friend told me that at the end of mile 3 in the TM, they put up a sign reading "Warrior Dash Finish", at that point you still have ten miles to run.

****ing right you run through an electrical field, and have an arctic bath, and and and!!!!!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Warrior Dash in a little less than 2 months. I absolutely, positively cannot wait. I've been counting down the days since I signed up a few months ago. I know that doesn't really answer your question, but every time I see the words "Warrior Dash," I get excited and have to chime in.

If it helps, I've heard from friends and others who have participated that as long as you're moderately in shape, it shouldn't be a problem. You can also skip any of the obstacles if you just can't manage to do them -- but I'm sure you could manage them all, just by looking at your profile pic. :) I'm kind of nervous about the rope wall, but I've been working on and will continue to work on my upper arm and core strength.

Where? I'm doing the warrior dash for the first time in NH on sept 15th

Haha..cool...I'm doing this WD on the 15th as well :)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    <--- We're doing WD on Sep 15th as well.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Warrior Dash is a BLAST! So much fun, and as others have said all shapes and sizes and walks of life participate! Loved every minute of it. :bigsmile: I definitely would go with the Warrior before TM, although my trainer keeps trying to get me to sign up for the TM. :laugh: He thinks I would love the challenge, I'm not on board yet. Keep training and you will do amazing but really just go and have a great time! Btw, I loved it so much I signed up for one on 9/15 and already am signed up for next year! Lol
  • carlyhawks05
    carlyhawks05 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just finished the Warrior Dash Saturday in Indiana... lots of fun and very muddy! My body still hurts today! The obstacles are not real hard... you just use all muscles groups. You do not run the full 5k due to people waiting at the obstacles and some paths were slick...plus some people just walked when they wanted too. The hills were probably the hardest... so train going up and down steep hills if your course has them... we had a hell's hill! :) I saw all sizes and ages doing this race... you can do it! Its alot of fun!

My husband and I just ran the Warrior Dash in Indiana last Saturday as well! This is our 2nd year and we have had a blast both times. There are people of every shape and size running / walking the Dash. As long as you can climb steep hills and have some upper body strength, you will be fine! Good luck and hope you have fun!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    <--- We're doing WD on Sep 15th as well.

*squeal* Yippy...can't wait to get my hands on the two of you! =p
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    Well, don't underestimate either one,.....I "tried" to do the Warrior dash here in Michigan last month and ended up with a dislocated elbow. Worst pain ever,....and I am seriously not trying to scare off anyone interested. I too thought it was a cool fun thing to do with my group of friends,......but don't even think about it if you haven't trained....its physically demanding

I am short, and without having trained most obstacles would have been a real tough go since I lack upper body strength. Also, make sure you can swim as one of the muddy pond like obstacles gets so deep its over an aveerage 6 ft person's head. I didn't make it to that after my injury but my friends told me they saw some panicked faces that were not prepared
  • KM11102011
    Options
    I'm already attempting to coerce my friends in joining me for the March 2013 WD.
  • kcpsu18
    kcpsu18 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    We are signed up for a Zombie 5k. www.runforyourlives.com There are zombies that chase you while you do the 5k and there are obstacles such as running through a fake pool of blood. I am sooooo excited. There is beer and bands at the end.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Doing Warrior Dash in less than 2 weeks. It's a shorter race than Tough Mudder. My hubby is doing it with me and he can just knock out a 5k without too much trouble. Tough Mudder is a 10k. . . I've got the distance for that, but he doesn't. And, this is something we're doing together for fun!!