Plain Yogurt

Options
I love yogurt but when I buy yogurt I normally get the yogurt that has the fruit in it. Well When I went food shopping first time i bought a container of plain yogurt. I had it today first time. I don't like the taste so I added fruit. The only fruit I had in my fridge is cherries. I was thinking of blending them so I can mix it well in the yogurt but forgot there pits inside so that would ruin my blender. Anyway have anyone of you bought plain yogurt and what do you add to it to give it flavor? It's time for me to go food shopping so when I go I can put it on my list. Thanks :)

Replies

• cvitez1
    cvitez1 Posts: 39
    Options
    Sorry I can't help you with this since I only eat yogurt with the fruit in it also...but I'm curious what people will say :) what about honey?
  • missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I heard some people put in splenda, nuts, honey etc
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I never heard of honey. I should try that next time thanks :)
  • Jenloma
    Jenloma Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would add in fresh blueberries or strawberries and top it with a little granola :)
    You don't even need the granola, if you don't want.
  • HamsterNut
    HamsterNut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to get used to the taste, I think greek yoghurt is a more pleasant taste and its higher protein too :-)

I use frozen berries a lot, I add the liquid that comes off the berries to greek yoghurt to add a bit of colour and flavour sometimes
  • Irisheyes88
    Options
    I hate the fruit in yogurt, I normally get Rasberry yogurt Preferably the danon light and fit tastes the best the rasberry has no fruit inside really. There is also GREEK yougurt wich has 2x the protien of regular yogurt but a much thicker consitancy and also a stroger taste and I think more Calories:(
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I grabbed honey flavored once and didn't like it. U added it to my protein shake and a little fruit. It was thick and reminded me of ice cream.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I like plain Greek yogurt. It's an acquired taste, I think. Try adding peanut butter and chocolate powder to it.
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I sometimes add sugar free jello or pudding for a treat. you can add a little vanilla and stevia or what ever sweetner you like.
  • TheDudette
    TheDudette Posts: 174
    Options
    HONEY!!!! It's so freakin' good. I've also added dried fruit, nuts or both with the honey as well.
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, peaches.. any kind of fruit that you like. Rather than granola I put grape nuts in mine for a little crunch :laugh: I also use a bit of splenda because Fage with just fruit is not sweet enough for this girl :blushing:
  • eevers
    eevers Posts: 15
    Options
    I've bought plain and put in honey, granola, sometimes fruit. Two strawberries chopped up, or a few raspberries chopped. I've actually changed from plain yogurt now to plain greek yogurt. You can pretty much add anything. Sometimes I'll even sub some yogurt for milk with cereal
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    berries! and it's definitely an acquired taste, but now I love it. I sometimes add a little honey if I am doing ok with my sugar that day. a little cinnamon too.

ETA: also, i love using greek yogurt (because it's thicker) with sriracha (or any hot sauce) as a veggie dip, or a cool topping over beans and rice.
  • catweimer
    catweimer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    definitely frozen berries (or fresh, this time of year), or other fruit, and a little honey or brown sugar makes it a little less tart. After only eating plain for so long, I have a really hard time eating regular flavored yogurt. I also use plain, non-fat yogurt all the time in cooking, as a replacement for milk/cream/sour cream, and it works quite well.
  • StonesUnturned
    StonesUnturned Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I usually do strawberries or (right now) peaches. I put in a lot of fruit relative to the yogurt though. Also I mix it with milk and oatmeal when I do overnight oats. I find the brand makes a pretty big difference in flavour. I typically buy a more local brand, but when the store was out I bought Astro and found the flavour and consistency really different and didn't like it.
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I was never a fan of plain yoghurt, but I watched Hairy Dieters on the tv the other night before I went shopping and they had a breakfast idea and I have to say its lush!

I x toasted crumpet

Fresh berries I used strawberries and blueberries and heat them in a pan until they start to caramelise but hold their shape, add mixed spice while heating.

I used 0% Fat Greek Yohurt, stirred until glossy threw it all on a plate and added a drizzle of clear honey. Delicious and indulgent does not even start to cover it! :love:
    (not for the carb free :laugh: )

Aprox:
    250 cals
    2g fat
    0g sat fat.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Apple Cinnamon- 1 tablespoon unsweetened apple sauce 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Cinnamon Pecan- 1/2 tsp cinnamon and a few raw pecans crumbled

Vanilla Crunch- 1 tsp vannila extract 1/4 cup dry oats (Its kinda like one of those vanilla yo crunches)

Mint Chocolate Chip- 1/2 tsp mint extract 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips

Cinnamon Almond- 1 tablespoon Almond butter 1 tsp cinnamon

I usually use 1/2 cup of yogurt with each of these
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I also use Fage fat free plain yogurt and add onion or garlic powder and a little salt and use as a dip, my kids eat it and i know they are getting lots of protein and no fat. my older son adds hot sauce and eats it as a dip or on top of mexican foods.
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone for the great Ideas! I normally get greek yogurt but when I went food shopping they didn't have the big container so I end up with regular plain yogurt. I am going to look for it again next time. :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I eat greek yogurt because it's so much higher in protein (more bang for your calorie buck) - and I always get plain.

I like to add -- protein powder, canned pumpkin, cinnamon, honey, plum amazins, almonds, pineapple, strawberries, etc...

Note: advantage of plain greek yogurt - you can use it in place of sour cream and such on other non-sweet dishes!