Turning 50 and Menopause

Options
I had good intentions a few years ago, when I joined another weight loss program.

Instead of losing weight, I gained.

I finally got a job closer to home and was thrilled. More time, meant I could exercise, right?

It did not happen. I gained 20lbs!

So, I quit the weight loss programs for a few months and now I think I am ready to tackle my health again.

I need to do it, before my body says when and I have to do it.

Menopause has not made it easier either. It seems like I walk by food and it gravitates to the number on my scale.

So, time to take control of my life in this area and make it happen.

I want to be an "after."

Anyone else feel the same?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi! and welcome!

Please consider joining us over here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/523-near-or-post-menopausal-group

a whole group of women nearing, in, and ending menopause.

You'll never find a wiser, funnier, more supportive group of women who get it.

cheers
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I need to do it, before my body says when and I have to do it.

Thats what happened to me. I developed T2 diabetes. I have no choice now. You DON'T want to be a diabetic on TOP of going through menopause. Welcome and know that you CAN do it!!
  • FourLynne
    FourLynne Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi, I went over to the link and read the thread. However, when I tried to respond it said I had to be a Member. Being new, I could not figure out how to become a Member, lol. Help!
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Just click on Join Group.
  • FourLynne
    FourLynne Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks Colleen, I figured it out, lol.
  • linniem96
    linniem96 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good Lord I'm 53 and hit menopause about 2 years ago. i gained 30 lbs. The hot flashes were horrid. they are just letting up now. I started the medical weight loss (optifast program on Friday). So far so good. the shakes and bars are not bad. Much better than I thought. I'm hoping for good results.My first attempt at a diet. I never had to worry before menopause. Seems like my metabolism came to a screeching halt.
  • BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm turning 50 soon and think menopause is in my not too distant future also. I spent my 40's fat and didn't want to be fat and fifty. I took control in March and haven'tlooked back. Add me as a friend! It's always better to walk the journey with a friend.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I just turned 51 and have been in menopause for 3 years and it comes and goes. Currently having hot flashes again. But I have to say if it's affected my weight loss I haven't seen where. Trust me I am thankful.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I am 45 been going through Peri Menapause for the last 10 years. My doctor didnt beleive me until i told him what happens when i have a hot flash...."I could kill my husband and get away with it" were my exact words.........

He believes me now!

Good luck to you.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and I hit the menopause at around 45 terrible mood swings along with the hot flushes. So glad that is all over and done with. Now I am concentrating on getting myself as fit as I can before I hit 60.

Go for it there is no time like the present to look after your health and fitness.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    My menopausal issues started at 39. Geez, this sucks really bad! I was not expecting so many problems.

I went on hormones and over the last year, mainly since Jan when I switched, turned into a big weeble wobble. I went off the hormones and am trying other things. Mainly food changes. Had the hormones actually been doing what they should have been I could have accepted the weight gain. But if I'm not really getting benefits and just getting fat I don't see the point.

I was hoping to be done with it all but I'm not. So far I have done better. It's kind of wait and see thing with me. I am so hoping this week passes okay and I don't start having issues again.

Good luck to you, have a good night. Guess I need to plug in my waxer and work on the lip fur. lol. I really hate that!
  • fitatfiftyfive
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I am 55 years old and struggling as you are. But I have found this site to be very supportive - I asked for friends in the same boat as I am in and have collected a wonderful group of supporters. As hard as this may seem, don't give up. I really believe you can have success with this site.. A tip - go ahead and open your diary to your friends - doing this one thing has helped me because I know I am being watched and have friends who will encourage and ask questions and be supportive. They can also point out certain areas that I may not be wanting to face.
  • endhill
    endhill Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi
    Fairly new here. I'm 52 and post menopause, started at age 48. Amazing changes to body in the last two
    years - eek! Happy to be your friend.
  • lll0493
    lll0493 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am so very happy to find this site. I've been using MFP on and off for the past year and a half. I put a serious focus on weight lose for the past year and a half as well, and have gained 12 pounds!!. I thought I was doing all the right and safe programs but have just watched as my weight, specifically by waist, go up and up. It feels like it's been completely out of my control. I'm nearing 50 (in October) and have recently had an endometrial ablation. Menopause and I have been flirting for the past 8 months. I think she has arrived. I have been searching for information, motivation, and support for women my age, facing similiar issues. Feels like everything is changing and I'm not in control of anything! I am literally scared as I see my weight blow up and experience bloating, shortness of breath, and the very clothes that fit me one month ago...no longer fit!!! I have committed to facing my weight and health issues and am giving it 100% of my attention. I am hopeful this site will be a great adjunct in this scarey journey. Recently saw an ad on TV saying "they talk about the first time but nothing about the second time"..or something like that. Meaning there are all kinds of talks and information when you start your period but very little when you enter menopause. I am 5'2 and weigh about 210...not sure as I'm scared to death to get on the scale. But I will and am committed to losing 1 pound per week. Just need to look further at this site/posting and am hopeful it will be helpful. !!