treadmil or elliptical?

Options
hey,

Im you've to buy one for yourself ...which one (an elliptical or a treadmil) would you go for and why? suggestions/opinions/experiences please!

Replies

• RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Elliptical. It's easier on a previous knee injury that I have and seem to do better on the elliptical. When it comes to running, I prefer to run outside.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have a LifeFitness elliptical and I love it.

The reason I would choose elliptical over treadmill is because it is gentler on the joints.

The reason I would choose a treadmill over an elliptical is it is easier to get a good quality treadmill for less money than a good quality elliptical.

A bad quality elliptical can actually be worse for your joints than a treadmill. If you go for an elliptical, look for one with a decent stride (18" or better). I'd also peruse consumer reports reviews of ellipticals and treadmills if you are looking into both.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    most people who are overweight have joint issues, expecially knees.. from the extra weight. Elliptical is low impact and easier on joints..

I have one & love it! I cant run outside either, due to my breathing issues. A cool room & my elliptical are my best friends! =)
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. Because I hate the arm things on an elliptical and I like to have more leg/feet freedom.

But that's my opinion.
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    The best choice? The one you feel like you'll use! :) We have a really nice treadmill in the house, but I rarely use it because I find the treadmill to just be dead boring even with music and tv. I use it at the gym as a cool down for a few minutes because that's all I can stand.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Treadmill because you'll burn way more calories, get a better work out, increase your stamina more and get a more accurate calorie count.
    The elliptical doesn't give you nearly as good of a work out it glossily over-estimates your calories. However, it is a good lower intensity/impact exercise for people with knee/hip/back problems...

The other thing is that you can get a better work out running outside then you can on a treadmill. But an elliptical gives you a different kind of work out. So maybe if I was buying something I'd buy a elliptical? But as someone who lives in Boston where it snows for 6 months out of the year I might for for a treadmill so I can continue to train inside. It honestly depends on circumstances!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    elliptical - burns more calories for me and i can walk/run outside
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Neither. I'd rather just go outside and do my thing out there.
  • xoxosarinaxoxo
    xoxosarinaxoxo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    eliptical less tress on bones
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I have had both and even had both at once and I notice I never use my treadmil cause it bores me I use at the gym but i also do more then that. I love my elliptical so that would be more my choice :)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    For the money, I'd buy six pair of of running shoes, a nice dinner at a place with a view and a six pack of really good beer to enjoy on the front porch.

Everything I've listed are great outside.

But to answer your question, if someone were pointing a gun at my head and had an itchy trigger finger. I'd probably choose a good treadmill. Nah. Let him pull the trigger.
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have both but if you get just one, get the eliptical... You can always hoof it outside.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    treadmill
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Probably elliptical, because it's easy to go outside for a walk, jog or run. But then, sometimes I wish I had a treadmill for watching TV.
  • xdoublerainbow
    xdoublerainbow Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've never used an elliptical so I would have to say treadmill! I'm definitely a runner so I love being able to go for a flat out sprint then bring it back to a run if I want. Being able to change the gradient is awesome as well. I just think it's an all-over better machine.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Go see if a gym will give you a free two week membership and try out both. Yes, it's bad - you won't really get the membership (unless you fall in love with the gym) but you'd have access to both and would see which you like best. You may even discover you prefer a third option!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I'd say elliptical. You can go hands-free when you're used to it enough and you can vary your style quite a bit with foot positions and what not to work different parts. And personally I burn a lot more and get a better heartrate on it.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Treadmill because you'll burn way more calories, get a better work out, increase your stamina more and get a more accurate calorie count.
    The elliptical doesn't give you nearly as good of a work out it glossily over-estimates your calories. However, it is a good lower intensity/impact exercise for people with knee/hip/back problems...

The other thing is that you can get a better work out running outside then you can on a treadmill. But an elliptical gives you a different kind of work out. So maybe if I was buying something I'd buy a elliptical? But as someone who lives in Boston where it snows for 6 months out of the year I might for for a treadmill so I can continue to train inside. It honestly depends on circumstances!

I disagree. You get what you put into it. If im running my tail off on the elliptical, im sweating and im breathing hard, im burning calories.
  • hssheikh
    hssheikh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    hmm...thanks guys...appreciate your prompt replies/suggestions...more votes are for the elliptical so far... hmmm.. Im thinking to get one for myself...! *thinking mode*
  • Naples6020
    Options
    Love my treadmill. I have lung disease and It's hard for me to get out of the house in some weather. You can walk, jog, and use the incline feature to work you butt!! I like mine and I use it everyday