Eating in the evenings, does it matter ? 

My friends have been constantly telling me that if I want to lose weight I should stop eating in the evenings. Well I workout mostly in the evenings and have a post work out snack after, around 11 pm or later. I maintain my overall cal intake for the day and don't think the time of day plays any role. 

What is everyone's thoughts in this, does the time of day matter for weight loss?  

Replies

• jshinoff
    jshinoff Posts: 25 Member
    No, as long as you have a net caloric deficit it does not matter when you eat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Doesn't matter - it's an old diet myth that refuses to die. Don't do it if it causes you digestive problems or trouble sleeping, but otherwise it's not going to hurt one bit as long as you maintain a caloric deficit.
  • Thechubbygrl
    Thechubbygrl Posts: 9 Member
    I think it will matter on WHAT you're eating so late at night. If it's right after a work out be sure you're getting in lots of protein to help keep the metabolism working as you go to sleep. If you're eating lots of sugary, starchy carbs so late at night that's going to mess with your insulin levels and could cause weight gain or at the least won't help you lose weight.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    No, as long as you have a net caloric deficit it does not matter when you eat.

^^ this
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Doesn't matter.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    I love going to bed with a full belly....and I sleep like a baby.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    ....and I sleep like a baby.
    You mean you wake up crying every two hours with a load in your pants? :bigsmile:

(Sorry - heard a stand-up comedian say that one time and I've always thought it was funny.)
  • jfan175
    Now THAT is funny!
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Everyone has different opinions on this, but I believe it you were to eat a huge bowl of pasta and cheese at 11pm at night, it just wouldn't be good.

I choose not to eat after 4-5pm and I have excellent results.
  • jfan175
    Not eating after 4-5pm is intermittent fasting. Some choose to do it in the morning, and they have excellent results also.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Meal timing doesn't matter. The reason that particular bit of conventional wisdom is floating around is that many people snack mindlessly at night. But if you're maintaining your intended caloric deficit, eating late won't thwart your weight loss efforts.