Separating Fact from Fiction in the Fitness Industry

Options
There seems to be cures to everything out there, baldness, cellulite, breast or penis enlargement, vision or hearing loss, flabby arms, beer belly etc. The claims on the fix are that they are fast, quick, and easy. You may have seen slogans such as "World's most powerful," "Doctor recommended," or "As seen on tv." Back in the old days snake oil carts were taken from town to town selling cures to tooth aches, neuralgia, constipation and diarhea at the same time. Here I am going to introduce the fads and truths in the fitness industry.

Fads:

1. Miracle thigh cream: Contains aminophylline. Study done for 8 weeks with 2 creams, one aminophylline and one placebo. Took skin folds, circumference measurements and it did nothing yet 7/10 thought it worked.

2. Breathe right strips: reduce snoring, relieve nasal congestion from allergies (which is true), but no evidence that it works during aerobic exercise.

3. Super oxygenated water. 10 times more oxygen than regular water. Improved performance when you think something will work. People ran approximated 1 minute 20 seconds faster when they drank tap water, but thought they were drinking Aquafina.

4. Shape up toning shoes: Rocker sols or pods claim to increase muscle usage of the back, thighs, buttocks, and calves. No change noted with studies.

5. Abdominal machines contour and flex belts: Based on electrical muscle stimulation. They work to increase strength and endurance, but don't change appearance.

6. Performance jewelry: No scientif basis for Power Balance.

What works:

1. Walking poles: May reduce orthopedic stress and there was a 36% increase in upper body endurance.

2. Perfect push-up: Pec major 22% greater EMG, anterior deltoid and triceps 13% higher.

3. Weighted hula hoops

4. Kettle balls: A training study showed 9% increase in grip strength, 15% increase in leg press strength, 7% increase in core strength, and 14% increase in VO2 max.

5. High Intensity Training: Claims 800-1000kcal/hr, metabolism stays higher longer after exercise. Some burn more than others.

6. Fivefinger Shoes. When runners don't run correctly it increased the impact forces on the feet. To learn to use start at 3-5 minutes of use at a time.

These are my notes that I took from the American College of Sports Medicine Health and Fitness Summit. Lets be friends. Add me on MFP.

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I've never understood "oxygenated water". How do you add more oxygen if water is a scientific make-up of H20? If you add more Oxygen, wouldn't you get H202 and then be drinking hydrogen?
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Breathe right strips - I've used those when I'm really congested and they worked for me. I've used them when my allergies mess up my breathing. As for aerobics, seriously? People tried to use them for that? I thought they were marketed mainly for snoring and breathing better at night. They must be nuts. It feels like a stiff board that pulls up your nostrils. I can't even imagine jumping around with that sensation on my nose. I don't recall that trend. Bizarre.

As for the shoes, well I agree...they don't really work out the muscles. I think they are just really soft and they make it easier for some people to walk. It's more of a soft walking shoe so people might just walk more and they think it's the shoe - most likely it's that they are just walking more. It's not the same as working out seriously.

It's pretty amazing what people come up with. Have you seen that stupid shaker hand device? I also read that the big red roller plate thing is not quite what it was supposed to be. I remember those Tony Gazelle machines. They were fun but they didn't do anything...including the stupid situp machine that looks like one of those machines for hanging from your ankles. They're pretty darn inventive though.
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The infomercial that makes me nuts are the sensa commercials. Lose 30lbs by changing nothing. Ugh.

I will say I loved me Reebok runtone shoes butni didn't buy them because they supposedly worked more muscles, I bought them bc they were air filled and felt bouncier so they didn't leave my feet sore.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    I'm hoping this will work...funny pics of weird exercise equipment ideas:

8301-17938_105-9670308-1.html

rock-and-go-exerciser.jpg

leg-exerciser.jpg

gym-cherry-popped

treadmill-bike-is-a-creative-workout-on-wheels

155674.jpg

vintage-fitness-devices-01-thumb.jpg

31yjzrtzykl.jpg
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Funny

20090708203319789.jpg

Vintage Equipment

vintagefitness.jpg?w=640

The Gazelle

tony_little_gazelle.jpg

The Hula Chair

ht_Hula_Chair_090925_mn.jpg

The Treadmill Bike

slide_9948_131069_large.jpg

The Red Exerciser

red.jpg

The Human Hamster Wheel - Boy we've evolved - Popular in Europe and on Kids Playgrounds

human-hamster-wheel1.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1321136899234

human_hamster_wheel.jpg

Now this is one I'd love to own. Talk about ergonomic! It's also gorgeous. The ultimate in bikes.

Ciclotte_exercise_bike-thumb-450x552.jpg
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    widget_btkk35HFXfoBUUUKBGJyKe.jpg

This one scares me. It looks like he's going to kill himself.

summer_skiers_edge.jpg

A Jumper to Exercise - Hmm.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVOgiDsDk4C3nOY3xyxV-EgArW5AoJJYP_yyFMuf0-xvPfKJBSNA

What in the....

newspacetool_152126671_s.jpg
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! Those pictures are awesome!!!! Too funny! Never thought about this stuff before.
  • AimeeZingLife
    AimeeZingLife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Love the gerbil wheel.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Why isn't Shakeology listed in the overpriced snakeoil category?
  • danasweetlips
    Options
    I've never understood "oxygenated water". How do you add more oxygen if water is a scientific make-up of H20? If you add more Oxygen, wouldn't you get H202 and then be drinking hydrogen?
    hahahahaha.........you are 100% correct.....I like you!!!!
  • silentwalkaway
    silentwalkaway Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    LOL! Ok, in all fairness, I use the Gazelle! I have the one with the resistance. It really does work for a quiet indoor workout! Great pictures!
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Dont forget that goofy mat where you put on "special socks" and slide left to right for 20 min
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    They have a vibrating platform in our local mall. I don't know how much it costs, but man, do the guys stand around and stare when a woman gets on it!!

Sadly, I'm not joking about any of that....
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Breathe right strips - I've used those when I'm really congested and they worked for me. I've used them when my allergies mess up my breathing. As for aerobics, seriously? People tried to use them for that? I thought they were marketed mainly for snoring and breathing better at night. They must be nuts. It feels like a stiff board that pulls up your nostrils. I can't even imagine jumping around with that sensation on my nose. I don't recall that trend. Bizarre.

I have used them for snoring, and they help a LOT. (Hoping that after I drop this extra weight that it won't be as much of a problem.) I don't understand how they would help with aerobics unless you have sinus issues or a stuffy nose. :ohwell:
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I love the Gerbil wheel.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    What's a kettle ball? Even Google doesn't know?

How does using poles increase upper body endurance? Compared to what?

How is the EMG of the perfect push up relevant? Compared to what?

The only studies I've seen on weighted hula hoops were where they compared them to a group that did no exercise.

I wear vibrams, but your statement makes no sense.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If this thread is an attempt to take away my thigh-master, well think again!

In reality, people have always been a bit gullible and looking for the new and latest thing. It seems to come down to our need for short cuts.
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bump, for later
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My motto is that there is not a damn thing you can buy that will get you as far as hard work and good nutrition. It's not very exciting, but it's the truth.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    LOL! Ok, in all fairness, I use the Gazelle! I have the one with the resistance. It really does work for a quiet indoor workout! Great pictures!

Yep I have one as well...its less aggravating on my lower back than anything else I use