Weight Loss & Birth Control?

Options
Is it just me... or is it extra hard losing the weight while on contraceptives? the weight was falling off before, and now it's come to almost a complete stop. and don't even get me started on the ridiculous amounts of water retention and bloating causing the scale to fluctuate like crazy.

so, is it just me, or are any of you having this problem as well?? <3

Replies

• cvthatcher
    cvthatcher Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    how long have you been using birth control? at first, I was warned nearly everything that sucks could happen for a few months. I ate out of emotional stuff; I was a mess. A few years later, things have smoothed out
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    Im on nuvaring and don't see a problem with losing weight.
    Anyway i'd rather lose weight slow than gain a pregnancy.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    It is your body trying to get used to it. Keep going and keep drinking the water. It will level out and you will get back to normal. If not, talk to your Dr about it.
  • hiddensmiles21
    Options

DITTO!
    The nuvaring has one of the lower hormone levels so it doesn't mess with your system as much, however its pretty pricey $$$.
  • 10k40min
    10k40min Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It can definitely impede your weight loss - and overall sanity! I am on birth control, but the lowest dose possible in my country (jasminelle, or leeloo). I would highly recommend you talk to your GP about being on the lowest-estrogen dose possible, the hormones are all tied to thyroid and metabolism, and while modern day birth control has improved, it could still be causing a problem. ALOT of women have problems with birth control, I think it's the dirty secret that the pharmaceutical companies don't want us talking about! Another option would to be to use a non-hormonal form of birth control (the sponge, a diaphragm), sure they are not as "easy" as taking a pill, but anyone worth unprotected (if you are not using condoms) sex with will surely understand!
  • jessicamariemeyer
    jessicamariemeyer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Is it just me... or is it extra hard losing the weight while on contraceptives? the weight was falling off before, and now it's come to almost a complete stop. and don't even get me started on the ridiculous amounts of water retention and bloating causing the scale to fluctuate like crazy.

HOLY CRAP. I'm having huge problems with this .___.
    I started working out this week, since I started MFP (and lost about 2 pounds, whoo!)
    But It makes me bloat like crazy AND made me start my period two weeks early.
    I'm also pretty sure it's the reason I'm naseous and was throwing up a couple night ago (I know, yuck)
  • brutalbaby
    brutalbaby Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have been taking birth control for nearly 8 years now and when I was put on it I gained weight and havent actually shifted a lot of it to be honest. I find that I can exercise for an 1 hr 5 times a week and eat 1200 calories and loose a few pounds then the next week I have put them pounds back on. Probably due to holding a lot of water .
  • rubixcyoob
    rubixcyoob Posts: 395
    Options
    I'm on microgynon 30 and since I went on it in Feb I've not noticed a difference. I did lose A LOT of weight last year, but around November 2011 it all platuaed and I've found it hard to shift since. This hasnt' changed since BC so I'm assuming it's not related.
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    how long have you been using birth control? at first, I was warned nearly everything that sucks could happen for a few months. I ate out of emotional stuff; I was a mess. A few years later, things have smoothed out

i've been on it since february this year, i was on it before for 2 years when i was in high school and my weight maintained without even trying
  • RawVeganFlirt
    Options

DITTO!
    The nuvaring has one of the lower hormone levels so it doesn't mess with your system as much, however its pretty pricey $$$.

ive only ever used birth control because i trust it the most, but i warn you!! my friend got pregnant TWICE on nuvaring!
  • RawVeganFlirt
    Options

DITTO!

ive only ever used birth control because i trust it the most, but i warn you!! my friend got pregnant TWICE on nuvaring!

pills* i mean
  • mfp116
    mfp116 Posts: 108
    Options
    I do know that most birth control does have the side effect to make you gain weight which is awful for us women who arent ready to have kids yet!
  • RawVeganFlirt
    Options

HOLY CRAP. I'm having huge problems with this .___.
    I started working out this week, since I started MFP (and lost about 2 pounds, whoo!)
    But It makes me bloat like crazy AND made me start my period two weeks early.
    I'm also pretty sure it's the reason I'm naseous and was throwing up a couple night ago (I know, yuck)

aww oh no it makes me nauseous too :( atleast we're not alone <3
  • RawVeganFlirt
    Options
    It can definitely impede your weight loss - and overall sanity! I am on birth control, but the lowest dose possible in my country (jasminelle, or leeloo). I would highly recommend you talk to your GP about being on the lowest-estrogen dose possible, the hormones are all tied to thyroid and metabolism, and while modern day birth control has improved, it could still be causing a problem. ALOT of women have problems with birth control, I think it's the dirty secret that the pharmaceutical companies don't want us talking about! Another option would to be to use a non-hormonal form of birth control (the sponge, a diaphragm), sure they are not as "easy" as taking a pill, but anyone worth unprotected (if you are not using condoms) sex with will surely understand!

i wish i had other options but my medicaid only covers jasmin and ocella (which are actually the exact same thing apparently) if i could i would get the copper iud because it has no hormones, is 99% effective and lasts 5 years!!! ugh if only. if i paid for it myself it would be 500 dollars and thats just not in the cards for me
  • RawVeganFlirt
    Options
    I have been taking birth control for nearly 8 years now and when I was put on it I gained weight and havent actually shifted a lot of it to be honest. I find that I can exercise for an 1 hr 5 times a week and eat 1200 calories and loose a few pounds then the next week I have put them pounds back on. Probably due to holding a lot of water .

im the same way! tons of exercise, eating low cal, making a definite deficit in my calories.. yet i only lose about 1 pound a MONTH its driving me insane.
  • JolieJemmaMomma
    JolieJemmaMomma Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    For sure the Depo shot did that to me BAD! but have mirena now and loving it
  • RawVeganFlirt
    Options
    I do know that most birth control does have the side effect to make you gain weight which is awful for us women who arent ready to have kids yet!

ive heard it does actually make you gain weight, what it does is make you really hungry and emotional which of course causes you to eat. and it can make you tired and irritable which makes you not want to work out.

so if we just make sure we watch what we eat and dont let ourselves get lazy it should be fine
  • katsuii
    katsuii Posts: 24
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD and I think it is holding me back from losing more weight. I almost got it taken out but I would rather NOT go through another pregnancy and gain 60 lbs again ;)
    But yeah... water retention blows.. ugh. :/
  • RawVeganFlirt
    Options
    For sure the Depo shot did that to me BAD! but have mirena now and loving it

oh god, ive heard horror stories about depo!!! like people gaining over 100 pounds in 1 year, and having periods for months straight. ridiculousness
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    There could be many reasons for this. It depends on what type of birth control, and I don't mean IUD vs shots vs rings vs implants. The brand of any and all could make a difference, too. They're made of different hormone levels and it could be that the one you're on may not be just right for you? Have you spoken to the physician who writes your scripts for you? Let them know the symptoms and what your overall goals are. Sometimes it takes playing with a few different types to find the one that is right for you.

Every woman is different - that's why there are so many different options to choose from! I personally love my implant (Implanon), but I know many women that do not. I've not had a cycle since 2008 and the weight gain it gave to me was very, very minimal (I just got fat on my own :D).

Really, someone who knows about the different options such as your physician would be the best person to speak to about this. Although it is interesting to see the many different options that are used and loved by women.