best tasting "healthy" peanut butter?

Options

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I only eat actual nut butters because peanut butter isn't a great source of protein and is actually anti nutritious. It's sucking the life out of all the work you're doing trying to put in good minerals.

4669812732_5407c2534c_z.jpg
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I do the JIF Naturals PB -- however as my jar is just about empty I'll be switching to an organic PB from whole foods.
    I also do Natural Almond Butter that's delicious...not sure the brand though.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My two favorites are Maranatha Organic or Arrowhead Mills Organic. Both are made from peanuts only.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Almond Butter is the best! Especially fresh ground from the machine at the grocery store. No need to mix.
    Also Almonds are better for you than Peanuts, which are not truly nuts and carry a deadly mold called Aspergillus flavus.
    That produces produces a carcinogenic substance called aflatoxin and causes most "Peanut Allergies".

aflatoxin will also be found in corn...

My lab in grad school studied aflatoxin. One of our rotation students had a project where they measured aflatoxin levels in a variety of peanut butter ranging from normal commercial verisons to natural organic versions. ALL had aflatoxin detected.

After the end of the studies, I ate all the leftover peanut butter, including the one that had 13 ppb AfB1 (limit in foods is 20 ppb).
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I second the peanut butter and co brand!! Love the bees knees, smooth operator, and dark chocolate dreams.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Natural peanut butter. Check ingredients. Best is just nuts, second is nuts and salt. Also try almond butter, cashew butter...

For some really cool "not just peanut butter" Google Vermont Peanut Butter. Best flavor is Green Mountain, which is a peanut and almond butter blend with flax and pumpkin seeds. Or Google Superior Nut Company for pecan, hazelnut, macadamia or walnut butters.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Where do you guys buy PB2 at? Amazon? I've been wanting to try it out.
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Almond Butter is the best! Especially fresh ground from the machine at the grocery store. No need to mix.
    Also Almonds are better for you than Peanuts, which are not truly nuts and carry a deadly mold called Aspergillus flavus.
    That produces produces a carcinogenic substance called aflatoxin and causes most "Peanut Allergies".

Not carry CAN carry and incidentally almonds can carry it too although peanuts are more likely to.
  • DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    chocolate PB2 with raw honey!
  • DoxieLove10612
    Options
    I buy on amazon but I know one of the local health food stores has it but...you pay for it dearly.

• DoxieLove10612
    Options

Holy wow! You live in PPark! I live in Clearwater! Hey neighbor! If you want I have tons of the PB2 and don't mind sharing since you are local. :)
  • manda_rae_k
    Options
    You can make your own peanut butter if you have a food processor or anything similar. Same goes for any nut butters. For 8 oz. of roasted, unsalted nut, you add 1 (or 2 if you like it sweet) tablespoon of honey. You grind the mixture in the processor until it's creamy. You may add a tablespoon of oil of your choice and a pinch of salt if you want but neither are necessary and depends on your palate.

This is what I do!
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh this thread is giving me a major craving! I'm going to have to save room for some PB later today! I have Jif at home right now but haven't shopped around. The powdered PB sounds really interesting for including in oatmeal or sprinkled on frozen yogurt. Yum!
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Naturally Nutty Butter Toffee Peanut Butter with Flax

http://naturallynutty.com/

They have so many delicious flavors of peanut and almond butters! YUM YUM YUM!
  • jynxxxed
    Options

Holy wow! You live in PPark! I live in Clearwater! Hey neighbor! If you want I have tons of the PB2 and don't mind sharing since you are local. :)

Haha I work in Clearwater! (currently there now :P)
    Seems to be a lot of local people on this site. I'm just gonna buy some from amazon, thanks for the offer though! I wouldn't feel right taking something from somebody I've just met :tongue:
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Maranatha is my favorite brand. The Smucker's natural is decent too. PB2 is good for the times when you want PB but the traditional stuff doesn't fit into your macros. The taste cannot be compared to real PB though.
  • kawicoff
    kawicoff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like "Better N Peanut butter" 100 calories for 2 Tbsp with 2 grams of fat! this the real deal
    I found it orginally at Trader Joe's in Seattle...found locally at Target in Clearwater Florida
    also you can find it online. It's a little pricey at around $5.70 per jar...but well worth it!
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    So funny that people comment that peanuts are not nuts and then recommend almonds, which are also not nuts, lol. Peanuts and almonds both have nutrition benefits, one is a legume, the other is a seed.
  • jynxxxed
    Options
    I like "Better N Peanut butter" 100 calories for 2 Tbsp with 2 grams of fat! this the real deal
    I found it orginally at Trader Joe's in Seattle...found locally at Target in Clearwater Florida
    also you can find it online. It's a little pricey at around $5.70 per jar...but well worth it!

Another person local to Clearwater! haha we clearly love peanut butter around here.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm not going to call out anyone but a lot of the Peanut Butters being listed or not very good, and several of them have a variation of trans fat in them.

My favorites are both from NYC's Peanut Butter and Co.: "Mighty Maple" and "Bee's Knees"

You want raw peanut butter, organic if possible, no salt added. NO partially hydrogenated anything ever.

Hit up a Trader Joe's if you have one and try:

Raw Peanut Butter
    Raw Almond Butter
    Hazelnut Butter
    Sunflower Butter