muscle loss..

Options
I am a stay at home mom, and my little family only has one car, so I make it to the gym once a week, twice if I'm lucky because my SO works so often. I weighed myself at the gym today and I went down about 3% in body fat but lost about 1/4- 1/2 pound of muscle over the past month that I didn't get to the gym. Is this normal? What can I do to keep from losing muscle besides lifting at the gym?

Replies

• A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom, and my little family only has one car, so I make it to the gym once a week, twice if I'm lucky because my SO works so often. I weighed myself at the gym today and I went down about 3% in body fat but lost about 1/4- 1/2 pound of muscle over the past month that I didn't get to the gym. Is this normal? What can I do to keep from losing muscle besides lifting at the gym?

Pick up some weights for home maybe check craigslist, resistance bands or a suspension trainer. If you can't buy anything get some light dumbbells and do squats, also do pushups, pull ups (if you can), situps.

Those are the things that come to mind for me. Others may have better suggestions.
  • xowyomingox
    xowyomingox Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to lose muscle, make sure you are not creating too much of a calorie deficit with your food. If you have too much of one, it'll take from your muscle after it's done taking from your fat, so make sure you're eating any calories that you burn off.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I will try some of those. My goal is set at 1600 a day.. I usually eat around 1550 a day, and when I do exercise I net at least 1200- 1350. Definitely not afraid to eat ;) haha
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Besides keeping your deficit reasonable, make sure you're getting enough protein - it's the most important macronutrient to help sustain lean body mass. MFP sets the default at 15%, which many believe is too low. It's up to you, but I've set my macros at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Losing .5 of muscle while dropping 3% bf sounds like a perfectly acceptable ratio to me. Some LBM loss is going to happen while you get leaner. I wouldn't fret about it one bit.

Meanwhile, when you can't get to the gym, do some of, Zuska Lights home bodyweight workouts. Look for her on YouTube. Short, effective and easy to follow.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    :) thanks guys!