Hungry 2 hours later?

Options
Why when I was eating 1000 calories a day was I never hungry. Now that I have increased my calories I almost always feel hungry about 2 hours after I eat. Anyone else experience this after upping from under eating for an extended period of time?

Replies

• kimgibbons
    kimgibbons Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My guess is that your matabolism is starting to work faster now (which is a good thing). Before your body was in a bit of starvation mode so it conserved the calories but now that you are eating more frequently it is using those calories up (for things like energy). I could be wrong, but that is what I would say has happened. You may find that you can do more exercise easier now too!
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I've probably never had under 1000 calories/day in my adult life. However, I can relate a bit to what you're saying b/c my husband used to be where he would "get stuffed" from eating some popcorn. He could go a whole 5 hours and not get hungry. He used to make fun of me b/c I would need to bring "snack packs" with me when we went to run errands like I was a little kid or something b/c I get hungry every few hours.

However, over the summer we did p90x together & he started lifing weights more, following the nutrition guide & eating more & more frequently. Now he eats just like me. He is hungry every few hours. We never go more than 3 hours w/o eating....4 hours would be pushing it & you would see 2 very grumpy people! So...maybe if you're working out & eating more you have boosted your metabolism & therefore you are hungry more often? Your body seems to be working more efficiently now if you ask me.
  • itsmenatalie
    itsmenatalie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I agree - your body is coming our of starvation mode and your metabolism is kicking in. I recommend eating small meals throughout the day and make sure that you include lots of protein which helps to stave off hunger.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Your stomach tends to expand the more you eat as well, hence it feels less full quicker and more often.

on the opposite end Gastric bypass surgury does the opposite by making the stomach much smaller (via surgery) so people eat less becasue they get full quicker.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've had days like this, where I will eat and then two hours later feel hungry again. On those days I usually eat 5 small healthy meals. I figure it's a good thing, it means my metabolism is on overdrive. Just make sure you're not constantly snacking on bad stuff.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Observe what you are eating. Do the "hungries" hit when you have eaten a higher amount of carbs, in comparison to protein? Do you feel more satisfied for a longer period when your last meal was higher in protein. Observe the type of carbs also; veggies vs. processed carbs like bread, pasta, or more high glycemic carbs like corn, potatoes.

This post is not intended to contradict any that appear above it, but just give you an idea of how you might need to fine tune your diet to avoid being hungrier.

I know for myself, if my last meal was higher in carbs than I usually eat, and didn't contain a lot of protein, I will get hungrier sooner.

Good luck.
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I agree with above post. See when you're hungriest after the kind of meals you're eating.

You may find that you're not getting enough protein.I try and make sure every meal and snack has some sort of protein and a fruit or veggie.