Question for P90X'ers..

So after doing P90X for a couple of weeks a few months ago, I just re-started P90X and am on my 3rd day.

Although I can do nearly all the exercises on Ab Ripper X, I have a hard time with oblique v-ups and I feel like I'm doing it wrong. The starting position just feels awkward and I can't seem to align my arm on the floor. And when I actually try to do a few, I feel it more in my shoulder and don't feel any tension in my abs/ obliques.

Am I supposed to be lying on my side while doing this, creating a 90 degree angle with the floor (I hope that makes sense) or somewhere between my side and my back?

Or is there a substitute that works the obliques equally well, but maybe in a less awkward position?

Replies

• ShawnDMuth
    ShawnDMuth Posts: 270 Member
    You have practice to get good at that one. The legs have to be out almost straight and have a little angle to them( almost 45 degrees). Think lift up together your legs and upper body at the same time.
    Just keep moving your legs to you find that happy spot. It takes most people a few times to get it down.
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    When I do the move, I center my body weight on the hip that is touching the floor. Only use the hand that is on the floor for balance. Do not push at all with this arm. If that is a natural tendency for you. Try this: (it does take more balance) use the hand that would be on the floor and put in on your natural waist. Then you won't use it to help with the v up, and you can actually feel the obliques contracting.
  • grmon
    grmon Posts: 17
    You have practice to get good at that one. The legs have to be out almost straight and have a little angle to them( almost 45 degrees). Think lift up together your legs and upper body at the same time.
    Just keep moving your legs to you find that happy spot. It takes most people a few times to get it down.

I'll experiment a bit on that next time. I think I got the legs down allright, it's more of a hip issue I think. Maybe I'll try leaning back towards the floor a little next time instead of being directly on my side
  • grmon
    When I do the move, I center my body weight on the hip that is touching the floor. Only use the hand that is on the floor for balance. Do not push at all with this arm. If that is a natural tendency for you. Try this: (it does take more balance) use the hand that would be on the floor and put in on your natural waist. Then you won't use it to help with the v up, and you can actually feel the obliques contracting.

That;'s a good idea.. my arm that's on the floor just seems to be in the way, so I'll try resting my arm on my waist next time, that might make it more comfortable.
  • I have the same exact problem on this move, the thing is I have strong obliques.. Instead I usually grab a weight, 30 lbs and hold it in one hand, and then lean to the side the weight is in and pull myself back up, targeting and working the oblique.. the v-ups just feel awkward..
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    I was AWFUL at oblique v ups when I first started. I found that it was painful to sit on my hip like that. Turns out I just needed to practice them more. Start doing them with your knees bent on a very very cushy yoga mat (double it up if you like) and then over time as you get stronger, extend the legs.

I also find it comfortable to put the arch of my top foot on top of the shoelaces of my bottom foot when my legs are extended - it helps keep my legs straight and I can focus more on lifting them up.

You'll get way better I promise! I couldn't do any when I did ab ripper the first time but now I can "make contact!!" like Jason :)
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Legs at a 30 degree angle from the body, and then you kinda have to experiment with your hand placement. I have to put mine out at about a 45 degree angle and I bend at the elbow so I can use the floor for leverage. Eventually as your strengthen the obliques, they get easier and they start feeling more comfortable. Pretty sure it was well after 4 weeks that they started to feel better for me.
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    "Maybe I'll try leaning back towards the floor a little next time instead of being directly on my side."

It is good to have a slight angle on you hips.That will depend more on what is comfortable for you.
  • grmon
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll just keep practicing